diy solar

diy solar

New offgrid system for a water pump.

Grakat

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to kick off a system to run my water pump that supplies my new build house. I am currently building an acreage house north of Newcastle in Australia. As part of the project we will be on tank water collected from rainfall off the roof of the house. I have the grid available but my long term goal is to get off grid and only use the grid as a cheap backup.

Our power supply is fairly reliable but drops out at least once a month and can be out for a day at most. In order to kick off learning I am going to build a small offgrid generator system to run the water supply to the house without using the grid.

I have picked up a Phoenix Smart 12/2000 inverter and a 100/20 MPPT solar charge controller for $1K. Both are unused and new in box, so I am pretty happy at the outcome. I have a few questions in regards to monitoring.

1/ I would like to be able to access this little system through VRM remotely. Would the base level Cerbo S and a 4G USB dongle work. Wifi is not available and I dont want to do Starlink......yet. What would be an alternative. I have looked at Raspberry Pi but they are as rare as rocking horse poop at the moment.

2/ Does the aux relay connection on the Phoenix run at 230V AC or 12V DC or is it a pure switching contact and you choose the voltage. I'm going to build this in a pool pump box which is approx 1.5m x 1m x 1m and am looking at adding a secondary fan to cool the box when the inverter fan starts and would like to determine voltage.

Thank you for your time.

1) Yes. You'd need 2X VE.Direct cables for connection to the Cerbo. Also recommend a smartshunt to track battery state of charge accurately. Would need a 3rd VE.Direct cable for that.

2) https://www.victronenergy.com/media...tml#UUID-2438bcd9-f865-668e-1238-5cc3ce579469

DC rating 4A@35V or 1A@60V, AC rating: 3A@230V

You supply the voltage.

If you want to use tank level sensors or additional temperature sensors, you'd want the full Cerbo.
Thanks for the response.

As it was next to a 110,000 litre tank I was thinking of using tank level sensors but haven't found anything that works well with that volume. Main reason I was looking at the Povo pack Cerbo.

Will add a smartshunt and a 3rd cable to the mix.

Back