diy solar

diy solar

New Project Planning

Ph1lo

Hi,

I'm in the UK, have a relatively new 50 Panel Solar PV system, 2 x EV's and a general high energy demand. At some point in the next 12 to 18 months I plan to add battery storage, but am not impressed with what appear to be very high prices and restrictive scale of off-the-shelf domestic systems.

Instead I'd like to explore building my own solution, recycling partially used EV batteries.

Current Situation
I have a background 24x7 usage profile of around 3.5kW at all times.
I have daily peak usage of around 7kW, with occaisional rare peaks closer to 12 or 13kW.
Whilst we have 2 EV's that have been purely solar powered since Feb, we don't do tons of mileage so often have excess solar that I'm exporting to the grid for a fraction of what it then costs me to buy it back hours later.
I also have heavily discounted power for a few hours overnight, so can charge from this during the winter months.

The Goal
I need an AC Coupled home storage battery.
I'd like it to be a minimum of a 50kWh battery pack, up to a max of 100kWh, likely driven by what suitable packs I can find at the time.
I'd like to be able to draw from that battery enough to cover my daily peaks, so around 7kW, though nearer 10kW would be preferable.
Obviously I need to be able to charge that battery from excess solar during the day, and have control to choose to charge it from the grid overnight, particularly in the winter months.

Question?
What equipment should I be looking at to put this together? I've had a look at a lot of off-the-shelf solutions, some of which look great but they don't really cater well for beyond 30kW of storage or much peak draw. They also appear to be much more expensive that putting something of my own together.

I've heard a lot of good things about Victron inverters etc but don't really know what I'm looking for.

I'd welcome any advice from the community on how to achieve this with good quality but fairly priced components.

Thanks!

Back