diy solar

diy solar

New Renogy batteries

I saw that today. 5 year warranty also. Batteries communicate with each other. Maybe more competition With BB will bring LiFePo prices down soon.

Just want to throw in a new thought on this . They are $900 USD . 100Ah cells are about $90 each in china and 4 gets you equivalent 12V battery . Add $30 for a BMS and you then have the same as what you get for $900.
So about $400 USD max for the same thing plus a bit of freight .

Now all of the above are set to become a lot cheaper very quickly in my opinion so It might be a better option to move back to Lead acid with carbon foam or other stuff, the cheap ones at $150 for 100Ah , because the above have suddenly become obsolete in a big way.

Scientists have discovered ethelyne carbonate liquid mixed into the electrolyte with 2 other ingredients causes the dendrites to form that punch through the separator plastic sheet. Now that's big and the manufacturers will realise that and start making cells with an alternative electrolyte and that will happen pretty quickly I think. Its a minor change to manufacture.

That will lead to them wanting to get out of the old stock quickly and that of course means a rapid price drop to sellers and a flow on to buyers. Then the new stocks will start coming through and they will be up there again and the natural process will bring them down slowly over time .

Then it becomes a matter of waiting for the next advance or new technology and there are a lot on the way.
So you tell me what is the best approach do you think.?

My main use for now is mobile applications so lead acid ups the weight factor leaps and bounds. For static application cheaper lead acid might be the ticket. But 50% v 80% for LiFePo safe DOD can bite you quickly if your not monitoring diligently. I still use a flooded batterys for some outside led lighting (2 6v cart batteries, 9 years old and still strong use only 20-30% each night) and one 80lb deep cycle for a trolling motor because it’s still has good life in it. I keep it on a maintainer when stored. When it gets spent it’ll be off to the lead recyclers.

Just want to throw in a new thought on this . They are $900 USD . 100Ah cells are about $90 each in china and 4 gets you equivalent 12V battery . Add $30 for a BMS and you then have the same as what you get for $900.
So about $400 USD max for the same thing plus a bit of freight .

Now all of the above are set to become a lot cheaper very quickly in my opinion so It might be a better option to move back to Lead acid with carbon foam or other stuff, the cheap ones at $150 for 100Ah , because the above have suddenly become obsolete in a big way.

Scientists have discovered ethelyne carbonate liquid mixed into the electrolyte with 2 other ingredients causes the dendrites to form that punch through the separator plastic sheet. Now that's big and the manufacturers will realise that and start making cells with an alternative electrolyte and that will happen pretty quickly I think. Its a minor change to manufacture.

That will lead to them wanting to get out of the old stock quickly and that of course means a rapid price drop to sellers and a flow on to buyers. Then the new stocks will start coming through and they will be up there again and the natural process will bring them down slowly over time .

Then it becomes a matter of waiting for the next advance or new technology and there are a lot on the way.
So you tell me what is the best approach do you think.?
My main problem with lead-acid is the susceptibility to temperature and how that affects the charge. They are cheaper initially but do they perform long term? Your right about new tech, there will always be something new on the horizon that is a given. At some point we all have to buy-in and make it work for the best. I'm still researching and may go with the LiPo if the prices do drop.

I just bought 190ah and bms for $620, the same Trojan T1275's would cost 2 x $300 for 150ah usable.

Initial price of lithiums are now cheaper than lead acid, in the UK anyway, I think Trojans are much cheaper in the US.

The way I see it, if a much better battery/BMS comes out in a year or two I haven't spend $2000 on lithiums so can handle upgrading if it's worth it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back