diy solar

diy solar

New system help sizing.

Archangel

Going to buy 3 panels at 300 watts each. Will be buying 2 Chin 300 watt Lipo batteries in parallel. Would like to run them all in parallel if possible do to some shading during the day. I will be using a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter with this srtup. I am considering a Victron MPPT controller 150/70 amp.solar panel wiring would run about 40 ft from panels to controller.

My questions are as follows.
1. Do I actually need to run these panels in series in this setup or will a complete parallel setup work.
2.Is this Victron controller a good choice for this setup? I currently run one system on a Renogy and another small system on an Epever controller and do not like either of those controllers.
3. What size in line fuses from each panel will I need to be safe we ith this setup and wire size going from these panels to my controller.

Kind of new to this and this will be the biggest of 3 systems I will be using Thanks for any comments from the community on this. I appreciate lt.

Dennis

Will be buying 2 Chin 300 watt Lipo batteries in parallel.
Are your LibCo batteries 12V or 24V?

1. Do I actually need to run these panels in series in this setup or will a complete parallel setup work.
The panel voltage just needs to be more than 5 volts above battery voltage for your SCC to start charging. So it depends on your panel and battery voltage.
2.Is this Victron controller a good choice for this setup?
Depends on your panel specs and battery voltage.
3. What size in line fuses from each panel will I need to be safe we ith this setup and wire size going from these panels to my controller.
Depends on amps, voltage and wire length.

I consider 3000 watt inverter to be 24 volt territory with the caveat to not be used over 2000 watts constant hours on end with brief excursions above that a couple minutes at a time for five or six times a day. Also note, this may be too much for a cheap 3000 watt inverter.

Also, with the batteries, they need to be able to deliver that power without tripping the BMS. 100 ah of 24 volt batteries will probably trip a BMS before maxing out a 3000 watt inverter at 24 volts.
2.Is this Victron controller a good choice for this setup? I currently run one system on a Renogy and another small system on an Epever controller and do not like either of those controllers.
I think you will like this. With a 12 volt system and parallel panels you can compare prices of other Victron products like running each panel through a 100/20 to see if that is cheaper than a 150/70. That is pricey.

A 24 volt system in parallel will be fine with a Victron 100/50, provided the panels push more than 30 volts. You may even be able to use a 100/30 at 24 volts, but output would top out around 800 watts.

I consider 3000 watt inverter to be 24 volt territory with the caveat to not be used over 2000 watts constant hours on end with brief excursions above that a couple minutes at a time for five or six times a day. Also note, this may be too much for a cheap 3000 watt inverter.

Also, with the batteries, they need to be able to deliver that power without tripping the BMS. 100 ah of 24 volt batteries will probably trip a BMS before maxing out a 3000 watt inverter at 24 volts.

I think you will like this. With a 12 volt system and parallel panels you can compare prices of other Victron products like running each panel through a 100/20 to see if that is cheaper than a 150/70. That is pricey.

A 24 volt system in parallel will be fine with a Victron 100/50, provided the panels push more than 30 volts. You may even be able to use a 100/30 at 24 volts, but output would top out around 800 watts.
Thank you for the comment. I am going to try and keep things at 12 volts to go along with my two other small system's.

Are your LibCo batteries 12V or 24V?

The panel voltage just needs to be more than 5 volts above battery voltage for your SCC to start charging. So it depends on your panel and battery voltage.

Depends on your panel specs and battery voltage.

Depends on amps, voltage and wire length.
I have not bought anything yet, just trying to figure out what I need. I think I want a 12v system. I only have room for one battery so I was thinking of a 300ah battery. Now I need to figure out the type of solar panels and then go from there. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Back