diy solar

diy solar

New system lasting less than an hour.

Hi, when you first connected the batteries in parallel, did you charge both batteries to full and check that they were at the same V with a max difference of 0.1V when the batteries were sitting in for 1 day before connecting them in parallel.

You said you didn't have a suitable charger, so I thought you had skipped this exact step to balance the batteries before connecting them in parallel.
Yes, I used a smart charger to ensure they were charged fully. I've updated my system now with Victron equipment and they stay charged for much longer.

This could have damaged your batteries. Many solar charge controllers SCC are preset to lead acid batteries which is probably why it worked well for those when you had them. Best case scenario is your scc tried to bulk charge and equalize your LiFePo4 batteries and caused them to shut themselves off at some point instead of charging. Then when they woke back up you drained them and they never got charged to 100% ever again. Luckily since the BMS most likely did it’s job all you have to do is find the user defined settings for your SCC and turn off the equalizing mode and lock in the charging voltage at 14 volts or so. Then give them a few days to recharge.
Seems to have resolved itself now that I've changed to Victron equipment. Although we are obviously getting a bit more sun now.

Seems to have resolved itself now that I've changed to Victron equipment. Although we are obviously getting a bit more sun now.
I’d say you fixed it not “resolved itself” lol your Victron equipment is most likely set for Lithium charge parameters so you should be good! Glad it’s working!

Still not sure you’ve solved the root cause, but at least you have this thread to refer to if it happens again. Still think you need a battery balancer, but only time will tell.

You can run multiple chargers too if you need more power than what it puts out.

AC Stuff - Sungold TP6048 Hybrid inverter - CHINS LiFePO4 48V 100AH Lithium Battery
DC Stuff - 2 Epever 4215bn's - 12V Weize + 12V Chins Lifepo4 batteries
Monitoring - Orange Pi 3 LTS - Solar Assistant software
Click here for Solar Panel Calculator
Rule# 37 - Loving my Sungold products more and more with every SS thread....
Rule# 38 - Careful the blue worshipers have pitchforks and like bonfires....
Rule# 39 - That spoiler button is there for a reason. What has been seen cannot be UNSEEN. You've been warned...

Ha ha ha Did you piss off the Smurfs again?

Back