diy solar

diy solar

New to this, advice welcome!

Nick351

Just for a backup / survival / preparedness, I've got myself a portable folding 60w panel from FlexSolar. https://flexsolarenergy.com/products/60w-foldable-solar-panel . It says it has a DC output (20-28v) for charging a 12v battery. I guess I'd like some advice on charging a 12v battery (car), and whats the most efficient way while keeping the price down. Although I can get a pvm charge controller cheap enough, I'd like to get a mppt to charge the battery quickly. I live in Ireland so sunlight is practically non existent, so is it worth getting the mppt or is the pvm ok. I know 60w panel is not great but I'm limited on storage space and budget and thought the 12v car battery with 300w inverter would be an easy backup in a SHTF scenario. All critiques welcome!

Not much in the way of longevity in your preparedness, but pWm charge controller fine although car battery not so.

Not much in the way of longevity in your preparedness, but pWm charge controller fine although car battery not so.
Thanks. Yes unfortunately longevity will cost me money and space, and living in an apartment and being made redundant recently are limitations that I have to live with. I thought the car battery would be the easiest option as I dont have to store it at home and they are plenty around. The Li-Fe-Po options are just too expensive at about 500 quid for a 100ah. Is there a better option for my needs?

Back