diy solar

diy solar

New to this need advice

heather-

Hi all I'm planning on making a 1000 watt solar panel from 200 cells myself to save money
Each cell has an output of 0.5 volts and 5.3 Watts. So the total output from the solar panel will be roughly 1000 watts and 100 vdc volts. I want to be able to charge 4 12V 100ah lead acid batteries at the same time.
I was wondering what inverter to use for this setup. Much advice would be appreciated also I don't want to spend a great deal of money either.
I've searched and searched and searched and all inverters I find for reasonable price all seem to suggest a maximum voltage input from the solar panels from 30 vdc to 80 vdc which is not enough for the size of the solar panel I want to make and the voltage it will output. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

As you assemble the panel it is possible to run two strings of 100 cells in parallel for 50 volts and meet the 80Voc max specification.
Wattage will be the same.

I assume the batteries are connected in parallel and will charge at 12 volts.

Certainly a 150 volt controller is available.... probably more money.

As you assemble the panel it is possible to run two strings of 100 cells in parallel for 50 volts and meet the 80Voc max specification.
Wattage will be the same.

I assume the batteries are connected in parallel and will charge at 12 volts.

Certainly a 150 volt controller is available.... probably more money.
Hi thanks for the reply would you have a diagram for that please and yes 12 volt batteries, but don't know about connecting in parallel..

Just two strings of 100 cells. Connect both positive ends together and both negative ends.

MCPARRA.GIF

Cell 1 would consist of 100 cells in a string, same as cell 2 shown would be a string of 100.

Hi all I'm planning on making a 1000 watt solar panel from 200 cells myself to save money

Seriously? How much money? You've done this before?

Where will you install your bypass diodes? If you just string them into series without bypass diodes and you shade a cell, the whole panel will cut its output as if the entire panel is shaded just like the single cell.

Four of these:

$380

Do you have any idea how huge, heavy and ungainly a 1000W panel will be? We're talking at least 5 square meters or 53 sq-ft.

If you build it with any structural integrity, it's going to weigh at least 150 lbs.

Each cell has an output of 0.5 volts and 5.3 Watts. So the total output from the solar panel will be roughly 1000 watts and 100 vdc volts. I want to be able to charge 4 12V 100ah lead acid batteries at the same time.

400Ah should be charged at 40A

40A * 14.4V = 576W - you will likely overcharge your batteries and shorten their life.

I was wondering what inverter to use for this setup. Much advice would be appreciated also I don't want to spend a great deal of money either.
I've searched and searched and searched and all inverters I find for reasonable price all seem to suggest a maximum voltage input from the solar panels from 30 vdc to 80 vdc which is not enough for the size of the solar panel I want to make and the voltage it will output. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Suggestion: reconsider your choices.

Just two strings of 100 cells. Connect both positive ends together and both negative ends.

MCPARRA.GIF

Cell 1 would consist of 100 cells in a string, same as cell 2 shown would be a string of 100.
Thanks again,.? I found this diagram does it seem correct

Attachments

• How-to-Wire-Solar-Panels-in-Series-Parallel-Connection.png
    How-to-Wire-Solar-Panels-in-Series-Parallel-Connection.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Connect-Four-Batteries-in-Parallel-with-UPS-or-Inverter-Benign-Blog.png
    Connect-Four-Batteries-in-Parallel-with-UPS-or-Inverter-Benign-Blog.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 5
Seriously? How much money? You've done this before?

Where will you install your bypass diodes? If you just string them into series without bypass diodes and you shade a cell, the whole panel will cut its output as if the entire panel is shaded just like the single cell.

Four of these:

$380

Do you have any idea how huge, heavy and ungainly a 1000W panel will be? We're talking at least 5 square meters or 53 sq-ft.

If you build it with any structural integrity, it's going to weigh at least 150 lbs.

400Ah should be charged at 40A

40A * 14.4V = 576W - you will likely overcharge your batteries and shorten their life.

Suggestion: reconsider your choichi thanks for your reply. The inverter I want to buy advertises 4 X lead acid 100 ah batteries being charged at once. I'm assuming it will have a 40a charge rate. All this it is cheap at 159.00. I will check the specs again.

The cells I'm buying are 156mm square, I will be using 192 cells in total the total size of the pannel will be roughly 1.9 meters X 2.6 meters, there will be no metal frame, the cells will be sandwiched between two big pieces of plastic 3mm thick sheets with plastic strips in 4 coloms, one on each side and two in side near to the middle with high bond adhesive. They will be installed on top of a garden shed no more than 10 feet high and securely fastened. They will be totally water proof. The pannel will weigh 20 kilo's at most. The panel will cost me 250 UK pounds to build. As I'm getting the plastic sheets for free. The cells I can buy for 112.00 for 100 of Aliexpress. High efficiency mono crystalline 5.3 watt cells direct from china when it's fitted to the shed roof, there will be no gap for the wind to get under. It will be screwed and glued lol ?

Last edited:
Do you have test equipment to test the cells to see if it actually meets the claimed spec before putting them together?
I would buy may be 10 cells just to verify the claim first since we are dealing with Aliexpress.
Link to the seller?

Thanks again,.? I found this diagram does it seem correct
Yes it is fairly straight forward. Same as connecting two panels in parallel.... Just yours will be on a single board.
Just be careful as that is plenty of voltage that can startle you.

Do you have test equipment to test the cells to see if it actually meets the claimed spec before putting them together?
I would buy may be 10 cells just to verify the claim first since we are dealing with Aliexpress.
Link to the seller?
Hi can I post a direct link, ?. I will be using a multi meter to test each cell I'm hoping the reviews are genuine, as there is only a few reviews. I may do a bit more searching befor buying the cells,

I haven't committed to buying anything yet as I'm doing my homework and research before jumping to the next level and buying the equipment I need to make the panels, could you suggest any good places, thanks for the reply ??

Hi can I post a direct link, ?. I will be using a multi meter to test each cell I'm hoping the reviews are genuine, as there is only a few reviews. I may do a bit more searching befor buying the cells,

I haven't committed to buying anything yet as I'm doing my homework and research before jumping to the next level and buying the equipment I need to make the panels, could you suggest any good places, thanks for the reply ??
Yes, you place the link of that seller on Aliexpress.
It is good that you are doing the research first.
I have no suggestion as to where to buy individual PV cell.
Some info about PV Cell testing:

Last edited:
Thanks. I wasn't sure as it looks so easy to do.,. Is there any benefits to having higher voltage going into inverters that can handle a higher voltage input, that you know of.

Some info about PV Cell testing:
Thanks do you mean you can search the sellers profile on Ali express. I may

Yes it is fairly straight forward. Same as connecting two panels in parallel.... Just yours will be on a single board.
Just be careful as that is plenty of voltage that can startle you.
Thanks. I wasn't sure as it looks so easy to do. Is there any benefits to having higher voltage going into inverters that can handle a higher voltage input, that you know of. , Maybe a better conversion rate. I was thinking of building a pannel
that' outputs 240 volts.

More voltage is not necessary or even helpful at this level. Yes if the connection is long, smaller wire can be used and that is about the only advantage. The higher voltage may have higher conversion losses going down to 12 volts. As voltage goes above 150 volts there is less equipment that works with a 12v battery and may need to go 24v or 48+ volts. Higher voltage also presents an increasing hazard.

More voltage is not necessary or even helpful at this level. Yes if the connection is long, smaller wire can be used and that is about the only advantage. The higher voltage may have higher conversion losses going down to 12 volts. As voltage goes above 150 volts there is less equipment that works with a 12v battery and may need to go 24v or 48+ volts. Higher voltage also presents an increasing hazard.
Thanks, I'm opting for 2 panels now. After more research. Each pannel will produce 500 watts and 50 volts, I will be using these batteries X 4 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164774774910?

Could you recommend an inverter and charge controller for this set up, or an all in one inverter, without breaking the bank I'm on a tight budget, I'm hoping to find something on AliExpress. Maybe you could look there, some have good reviews and have sold thousands.thanyou kindly ❤️

Last edited:
Others are way better than me at economy products. Especially from CN. I have a Morningstar controller and two GoPower inverters. Not sure if these are available in the UK.

BTW when posting a link, all the search tracking, cookies, referral codes, and spyware after the "?" can be deleted.
Nobody wants to click on that mess.

The cells I'm buying are 156mm square, I will be using 192 cells in total the total size of the pannel will be roughly 1.9 meters X 2.6 meters, there will be no metal frame, the cells will be sandwiched between two big pieces of plastic 3mm thick sheets with plastic strips in 4 coloms, one on each side and two in side near to the middle with high bond adhesive. They will be installed on top of a garden shed no more than 10 feet high and securely fastened. They will be totally water proof. The pannel will weigh 20 kilo's at most. The panel will cost me 250 UK pounds to build. As I'm getting the plastic sheets for free. The cells I can buy for 112.00 for 100 of Aliexpress. High efficiency mono crystalline 5.3 watt cells direct from china when it's fitted to the shed roof, there will be no gap for the wind to get under. It will be screwed and glued lol ?
You must must must have air space under that panel for longevity and max power production

Others are way better than me at economy products. Especially from CN. I have a Morningstar controller and two GoPower inverters. Not sure if these are available in the UK.

BTW when posting a link, all the search tracking, cookies, referral codes, and spyware after the "?" can be deleted.
Nobody wants to click on that mess.
Thanks deleted. This is what I'm buying please advice me if I've bought the right specs. First the battery https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005005059642335.html?

The inverter https://uk.eco-worthy.com/products/...-inverter-50a-controller-for-off-grid-system?

The solar cells = 200, https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000872729704.html?

I would appreciate your time to look for me or anyone else and advice if this system is compatible. Thankyou❤️

Back