diy solar

diy solar

New trailer solar build

I'm not a fan of that Progressive Dynamics converter AT ALL. First, I believe it is being discontinued by the manufacturer and second, it provides a constant current and does not shut off. This will most definitely overcharge your battery in time. You can theoretically disconnect it prior to being fully charged but that means you will have to babysit it all the time.
I suggest something like this:

It will charge at 14.6V for between one hour and 4 hours depending on your batteries current and voltage, then it switches to a float of 13.6V which is fine for LiFePO4 batteries. You won't have to babysit with this charger and it won't stay in a constant bulk mode like the Progressive one will. It will charge a FLA at 55 Amps and a LiFePO4 at 50 Amps.
Thanks for the info. I notice Will had the charger on a list of good charges so I purchased it.

that adapter to have a breaker makes good sense just incase the 30A service surges into the 15A adapter
The entrance whether by dongle/cord or receptacle should have a 15A breaker for his purposes with a light duty cord. Conversely, a ~350W TV runs fine plugged into a 20A receptacle….

For the purposes listed, I’d skip the converter entirely. A cord access door like an RV that you can fish the cord out for shorepower or plug in to a receptacle fed from the inverter inside is simple.

You can even add a lifepo charger to only use when you need it / choose like in the overstory campgrounds. I just wouldn’t be able to help myself: I’d have 1200W inverter just because of the possibilities and I’m enamored with 5-cup coffee makers and mini-fridges :)

The diesel heater: how many amps is that? It may not be an issue but some of those I’ve seen are power hogs with 20A fans. Others claim 5 or 6A for theirs which is way more more doable. I don’t know what’s currently being offered; a friend bought one a while back with a 30A fuse and that’s when I stopped paying attention.

Back