diy solar

diy solar

New user with a quick LiFePO4 query on BMS

gmerrall

Hello to all. I'm looking into pretty lightweight solar setups for a specific situation where use is limited to 12V lighting at night, running an electric fan and phone charging only. Fortunately sunlight isn't a big issue. In order to minimise cost I was thinking of just creating a 2 cell LiFePO4 battery but all BMS systems seem to require a minimum of 4 cells i.e. 4S. Which makes me think that either the minimum required really is 4 for some reason I'm not aware of, or you don't need a BMS for just two cells.
Wonder if someone can shed some light on this for me?

Background in case anyone has extra advice is that this is for the not unusual situation of people in remote areas needing basics of some power in a hot environment. Cooking is done by fire/gas etc. I'm sure this has been discussed a lot before but still working my way through older posts.

Welcome to the forum.

If you need 12V, how do you plan to get it from 6.4V?

Lifepo4 cells have a nominal voltage of 3.2v. That's the chemistry. 12v lead acid batteries are really 8 cells of lead acid at 1.5v each. 9v batteries are often 6 little mini batteries smaller than a AAA inside.

Instead of thinking "I only want 2 Lifepo4 cells" think how much power you need and how much space you have then figure out the battery combination. All these batteries really need a bms to protect from overcharging/damage. Just like you can ruin lead acid batteries by running them totally flat or overcharging them you can ruin lifepo4.

One of the popular attractions for LiFePO4 cells is four series cells has a voltage that is close to the standard six cell 12v lead acid battery.

fours times 3.10 to 3.35v LiFePO4 cells is 12.4v to 13.4v
six times 2.0 to 2.1v lead acid cells is 12.0v to 12.6v..

Back