diy solar

diy solar

Newbee help camping solar generator

ahelwig

I would like to build a solar generator. I am to the sizing of an inverter. For now I really only think I need to run two dorm friges. So I was going to get a victron 500 inverter. In the back of my mind I can some day see using an induction to cook instead of propane. Id assume they draw 1K to 1500 W. So should I get a 1500W? Who know when I will be doing this. could be a few years of just running the friges. So if I buy a bigger one now will it be inefficient?

I would like to build a solar generator. I am to the sizing of an inverter. For now I really only think I need to run two dorm friges. So I was going to get a victron 500 inverter. In the back of my mind I can some day see using an induction to cook instead of propane. Id assume they draw 1K to 1500 W. So should I get a 1500W? Who know when I will be doing this. could be a few years of just running the friges. So if I buy a bigger one now will it be inefficient?
Induction cooktop would be the fasted way to kill your batteries on a camping trip. Try to stay away from anything that generates heat. The amp draw from the battery will be huge.

That being said, size the inverter for your highest intermittent load. Each manufacturer will have its own idle consumption so do your research on efficiency.

I made one out of leftover aircraft batteries that were changed out but still good, 43AH enersys sealed x2 in parallel and a harbor freight 1000w inverter. I never max out the inverter, its mostly for running lights and charging phones. Works fantastic.

Attachments

• 20230719_184446.jpg
    20230719_184446.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4
Back