diy solar

diy solar

Newbie Battery question

Ajenne13

I’m in the process of installing a system on my new 5th wheel
I purchased all the components except the batteries from Northern AZ Wind and sun

my question is about my battery decisions.

I'm looking at the Big Battery A123 pack
Or the Battery box

they are similar. Anyone have an opinion on which way is better?

You haven't provided links.

As a n00b, whichever one has LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiFePO4, 3.2V/cell) cells should be chosen over Lithium NMC (3.6-3.7V/cell).

LFP is a very safe chemistry and tolerant of occasional "oops" operations. NMC is toxic, flammable and may explode.

If they are both LFP, go with whatever one fits your needs. If you don't know, you need to make sure you understand your needs.

Probably a little late now but most folks build it backward FROM the battery ... meaning ... OK I am getting 4 or 8 or 16 3.2V LiFePO4 280aH batteries because THATS the power I require to do X ... NOW what components do i need to make these batteries run safely and optimized ...

sort of like building the car around the engine .. not the other way around ... LiFEPO4 is the only way to go in an RV ... when you get a chance send us the list of major components you bought .. thx

I’m in the process of installing a system on my new 5th wheel
I purchased all the components except the batteries from Northern AZ Wind and sun

my question is about my battery decisions.

I'm looking at the Big Battery A123 pack
Or the Battery box

they are similar. Anyone have an opinion on which way is better?
You have not advised what components you already have and exactly what two battery packs to which you refer. I believe I know what batteries you are looking at yet in the world of high current it is best not to guess at such things. Note that usually your battery selection determines what the rest of your solar set-up will be. You might contact NAZW&S and seek their advice.

Back