diy solar

diy solar

Quality Monocrystalline folding panels

Rodin AZ

Hello, 1st post here. A little bit about my "project". I purchased a new travel trailer last year with the intent to add an inverter, Lifepo battery(s) and lastly solar. So far, I've installed a Victron Multiplus 2, 12v 3000 and one LiTime 200 ah battery to start with and plan to get one more in the future. This is my first forray into doing anything like this so I'm doing a lot of recon to try and do things right on the first attempt. Much of my purchase decisions started with a call to Northern AZ wind & solar based on my expected needs at the time. The LiPo battery is based on reviews that I found online and at a price point that I was comfortable with. I'm sure I may have chosen a different battery manufacturer had I found this site last year when I started the process. However, I did not and so far am happy with the battery I chose, time will tell. This will be used to power everything except the AC units.
Now, I'm looking at adding the solar, wiring, fuses, breaker, controller and exterior connection. Since we typically park in the shade whenever possible, I wanted to use a couple 200 watt Monocrystalline panels remotely up to 100 feet away. I will be using a Victron controller and 8 gauge wire. All else is yet to be determined. Regarding the panels, I want to use folding panels to reduce the space needed to store them. The ones I found that look promising are from Rich Solar, sku x200B. Specs are 18.6 vmp, 10.8A IMP, 22.8 VOC and 1000v DC Vmax. Are there any other 200 watt Suitcase panels that perform better?
The other item I need is to find a wall mounted outlet. I'm not a big fan of the MC4 connectors due to them being a PITA to disconnect, however that's not a bad thing either and not difficult to disconnect with the correct tool.
TIA for your input

LiPo generally refers to Lithium Polymer, which is a very different beast. LFP is the most common reference to Lithium Iron Phosphate.

Your plan for a "deployable" array is wise. In addition to folding panels, you could consider building some lightweight PVC frames with flexible panels:

Losses over 100' runs may be challenging. You'll want to get your voltage up as high as the MPPT will tolerate.

If you plan to use it in conjunction with a rooftop array, it will need to have the same Vmp or have its own MPPT.

Back