diy solar

diy solar

Newbie here. Need input on SAFE Parameter settings.

Bhogue

Needing any and all advice as if any changes need to be made to my ANT BMS for safe operation. I'm very new to the solar world and wanting to make sure i have my BMS set to SMART and SAFE values.

Battery Bank - 3.2V 200AH Lifepo4 Prismatic Cells 48V
ANT Smart 300A BMS

Parameters:

see attachment

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• 76364.jpg
    76364.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Snoobler for the response, not sure why its not blowing up. Ill get it corrected my friend. Thanks

Thought typing this out would be easier. Let me know what you think and see if I need to make changes. Greatly appreciate!

Project Device Param Set Param
Cell High Alarm 3.65V 3.65V
Cell Low Alarm 3.0V 3.0V
Cell High Protect 3.35V 3.35V
Cell Low Protect 2.9V 2.9V
Cell High Recover 3.4V 3.4V
Cell Low Recover 3.0V 3.0V
Total High Protect 53.6V 53.6V
Total Volt Low Protect 51.2V 51.2V
Charge Over Current Prot 50.0A 50.0A
Charge Over Current Delay 5S 5S
Discharge Over Current Prot 200.0A 200.0A
Discharge Over Current Delay 5S 5S
max balance limit volt 3.6V 3.6V
start balancing volt 3.4V 3.4V
cell diff value to start bal 0.002V 0.002V
bal current value 200MA 200MA
system ref volt 2.99V 2.99V
current censor range 440.0A 440.0A
pre charge current 25A 25A
short circuit current value 150A 150A
short circuit delay time 700US 700US
auto standby time 180S 180S
total volt ref value 3350N 3350N
connected cell no 16S 16S
MOS high temp protection 75C 75C
MOS high temp recovery 70C 70C
battery physical capacity 200.0AH 200.0AH
tire circumference length 1000M 1000M
pulse no of one tire circum length 23N 23N
system shut down cell volt 3.0V 3.0V
cell unit volt gap protect 1.7V 1.7V
silent current consumption 3.5MA 3.5MA

Wow, I didnt have it typed up thy way its shown. Hopefully can make heads or tails out off this.

It works.

Everything looks good to me except the following:

Cell High Alarm 3.65V 3.65V
Cell High Protect 3.35V 3.35V
^Doesn't make sense that alarm is above protect, I'd put protect at 3.65 and alarm at 3.6.

Cell Low Alarm 3.0V 3.0V
Cell Low Protect 2.9V 2.9V
^This makes more sense

Total High Protect 53.6V 53.6V - this seems low. 16S * 3.65 = 58.4; maybe change to 16 * 3.6 = 57.6V
Total Volt Low Protect 51.2V 51.2V - this seems high, 16S * 3 = 48V
bal current value 200MA 200MA - I'd adjust this as high as it allows (might be at max already)
system shut down cell volt 3.0V 3.0V - I'm not sure about this one. It doesn't makes sense that it's above the low protect value of 2.9. Maybe 2.5?

I do not have, nor have I ever had an ANT BMS, so these numbers are based on my interpretations of other BMS units and the expected function of each parameter.

Good eye on the cell high alarm, protect. I see it now that you pointed it out. Not sure about the Bal current value but will find out. Another good catch, your right it doesnt make since that shut down is above the low protect. 3.00V is by my chart a 9.50% charge, thats to low of a voltage is it not? 3.20V is 20.00% and thats the % to take them to right? If one takes it that far.

While you can manage those with the BMS, it's best to select your inverter and charge controller voltages to provide the desired functional limits.

Just so you know i took your and several others advise on the Victron 150/60 charge controller. Ok gotcha, just fine tune the controller to those functions rather than doing it with the BMS? Gonna sound like a 48 year old kid here but why? Isnt that the job of the BMS?

Just so you know i took your and several others advise on the Victron 150/60 charge controller. Ok gotcha, just fine tune the controller to those functions rather than doing it with the BMS? Gonna sound like a 48 year old kid here but why? Isnt that the job of the BMS?

The reason you want your inverter or mppt to control its cutoff is because if you allow the BMS to handle all cutoffs you will lose power to everything. Better to have the attached devices shut themselves down as opposed to the battery killing everything.

Cool. Along what rbreding said, the BMS is a "management" system. It's supposed to work in the background maintaining the cells and providing protection. You want to operate INSIDE those protection limits because when the BMS hits a limit, it may go open circuit, and you have NO power to the inverter or charge controller until the cells returns to the acceptable range, and it comes back online.

rbreding, thanks for the response and input, makes since. Snoobler makes since now, I appreciate yall taking the time to teach and in detailed simple terms! Im sure there will be a 1000 more questions ill ask and no doubt yall wont disappoint! Again i greatly appreciate all the help, info and your time!

diy solar

diy solar
Back