diy solar

diy solar

NorthStar NSB190FT BLUE+ Batteries Discharge

SolarHead

50% of people are below average. (Its a statistic)
I have NorthStar NSB190FT BLUE+ for my battery bank , thats connected to my Sol-Ark 12k. Would it be okay , safe (no damage to battery) if I allowed them to discharge lower than 50% ? I thought SLA should not be discharged below 50% and damage could occur if you do go lower than 50% , correct?

Great batteries for agm. Taking them below 50% won't damage them - UNLESS you exceed what is considered fully discharged - typically at 10.7v. Going beyond 50% dod often, merely results in less cycle life, but sometimes it happens, so not a big deal if you planned your power budget properly.

I see they rate them at near 2K cycles at 50% DOD. Of course that is in lab-perfect recharge cycling conditions. Real world may be less. Even less if you regularly exceed 50%, but that does not mean damage unless you take them to the beyond. Ie, if you relied solely upon an inverter's "dead man backstop" of 10.7 / 11.7v as your normal LVD low-voltage disconnect, you will get far less cycles.

Those batts happen to also be PSOC capable (which means *resistant*, but not impervious - to sulfation from lack of a full charge). So you need to reach full charge (get that last 1% in) on a regular basis, but perhaps not every day in a daily cyclic application. This is better than your standard agm.

Typically lower internal resistance is great too, but perhaps not as good as a pure-lead agm - but we're nitpicking and bench-racing specs at this point.

Long answer - those are VERY NICE agm's. But being PSOC doesn't relieve one from reaching a TRUE full charge every once in awhile. Make sure your solar system is actually capable of doing that.

Those batts happen to also be PSOC capable (which means *resistant*, but not impervious - to sulfation from lack of a full charge). So you need to reach full charge (get that last 1% in) on a regular basis, but perhaps not every day in a daily cyclic application. This is better than your standard agm.
Yep they are advertised to do well or okay with partial state of charge, or as best as can be expected from AGM. I only have four 12v batteries in series to get the 48v. My 11.5kw array easily tops them off in usually no more than 3 hours. I have LFP on order, and will replace the AGM when they arrive, so that will be a new chapter and learning experience.

Back