diy solar

diy solar

Not grounding panels

Look for something like an SWH grounding lug. You simply drill the self tapping green colored ground screw into each frame of the aluminum solar panel (a lot of panels have the ground point symbol on the frame or a suitable hole) and then you run and screw down the bare copper ground wire from one panels to the next. You can terminate one end at the ground rod and the other at your combiner box OR DC disconnect switch, and then run it from the ground buss bar in a conduit to where your inverter, batteries, etc are grounded.

AS AN ALTERNATIVE, SOME SOLAR PANELS OR SOLAR RAILS OR CLAMPS TO THE RAILS ARE DESIGNED TO MAKE GROUND CONTACT FOR THE PANELS, RAILS AND ARRAY METAL FRAME. ATTACHING THE PANEL TO THE RAIL GROUNDS THE PANEL AT THAT TIME. THEN CONNECT YOUR GROUND WIRE TO A GROUND ROD AND SO FORTH. NO WIRE IS NEEDED TO GO ACROSS EACH PANEL.

Look for something like an SWH grounding lug. You simply drill the self tapping green colored ground screw into each frame of the aluminum solar panel (a lot of panels have the ground point symbol on the frame or a suitable hole) and then you run and screw down the bare copper ground wire from one panels to the next. You can terminate one end at the ground rod and the other at your combiner box OR DC disconnect switch, and then run it from the ground buss bar in a conduit to where your inverter, batteries, etc are grounded.

AS AN ALTERNATIVE, SOME SOLAR PANELS OR SOLAR RAILS OR CLAMPS TO THE RAILS ARE DESIGNED TO MAKE GROUND CONTACT FOR THE PANELS, RAILS AND ARRAY METAL FRAME. ATTACHING THE PANEL TO THE RAIL GROUNDS THE PANEL AT THAT TIME. THEN CONNECT YOUR GROUND WIRE TO A GROUND ROD AND SO FORTH. NO WIRE IS NEEDED TO GO ACROSS EACH PANEL.
Is this one that I don't need to ground individually?

Anyone have a link to that?
(both the grounding options and Will getting shocked)

Is this one that I don't need to ground individually?

No such indication in the listing.
Add bonding for ground wire to taste.

It is probably a mechanically sound mount.
Looks like Unistrut (or similar brand), which you can buy at home improvement stores.
Some are hot-dip galvanized, most are thin plate of something. Make sure bolts and slot nuts work smoothly. There is also aluminum and stainless hardware.
Good materials probably more expensive than purpose-fabricated PV mounting hardware from Unirac or Iron Ridge.

As for grounding, of course you can add a UL listed grounding mechanism such as lay-in lugs. They need toothed washer to bite through aluminum oxide or anodization.

Is there a standard protocol for connecting a 6awg bare copper ground wire to an aluminum PV panel or aluminum supporting frame?

Any corrosion or galvanic action to worry about, preference for special stainless steel fasteners?

Copper wire goes in tinned lug.
Stainless toothed washer between lug and aluminum frame, to bite through oxide or anodization.
Stainless screw and nut.

Grounding panels has nothing to do with lightning.

You need to run an EGC from the panels so the panels are bonded to the system ground.

The purpose is so that any AC power that could energize metal surfaces will have a path for ground fault clearing.

Do not install a ground rod at the array location. It is not needed and can lead to a gradient pulse across your electrical system. A direct lightning strike on an array will cause damage, there is no way to prevent it. Watch Mike Holt's video shown in this post.

He seems to be saying you should have only one ground rod per house, if I understand correctly.

So can I ground/bond my DIY system with my professionally installed and grounded rooftop solar system? (they're connected to different subpanels but ultimately go to the same main panel)

Not true. Some inverters float the panels at very high voltages with respect to ground. An unlucky person who touched a faulty panel frame or rack could have a nasty surprise/early death. This is why proper earthing of mounting systems is considered mandatory by practically all panel, racking and inverter vendors.
Thank you...that was what an engineer told me...maybe something's wrong ? I'll read the other posts in this thread and learn more.

He seems to be saying you should have only one ground rod per house, if I understand correctly.

So can I ground/bond my DIY system with my professionally installed and grounded rooftop solar system? (they're connected to different subpanels but ultimately go to the same main panel)
Everything metal that can become energized with electricity needs to be bonded to the grounding system. The grounding system should only have one grounding location. It might be comprised of more than one rod depending on soil conditions, for example poor soil conductivity may require a pair of rods 6 feet apart bonded to together to increase earth contact.

As for running a ground wire from one array to another, then to main panel,, you most certainly can if the AHJ does not have any requirements stating to the contrary.

Actually, the video clearly explains why array grounding is NOT required.
I think you are referring to using an auxillary ground rod at the array, which is not required. It is allowed, but bonding still needs to be run to the main panel for grounding purposes as required by NEC.

So can I tie the ground wire at my main panel instead of the subpanel that the PV cables are going to? (where the inverter is)

My main panel is much closer than the subpanel.

Yes, as long as all metal in a system is bonded together.

And is 8 AWG copper big enough as ground? Does it need to be covered?
Exposed and not protected requires 6AWG solid. Once inside a cabinet or conduit, it can be smaller. I run 10AWG from array junction box to my house inside underground conduit.

diy solar

diy solar
Back