diy solar

diy solar

Not sure if i should hook up my generator to my inverter.

Merica

OFF GRID
5800w Westinghouse generator.
Sp6548 sungoldpower inverter " lv6548"
Not sure if I should run the generator into the inverter? Pretty much to change batteries. Are should I just run generator into a battery charger? If so what kind of charger? Have 16×6v FLA batteries in a 48v setup.
Thanks for the help

OFF GRID
5800w Westinghouse generator.
Sp6548 sungoldpower inverter " lv6548"
Not sure if I should run the generator into the inverter? Pretty much to change batteries. Are should I just run generator into a battery charger? If so what kind of charger? Have 16×6v FLA batteries in a 48v setup.
Thanks for the help

Well, it's worth trying. These units typically want an inverter generator for clean power input.

If the Westinghouse is a standard generator, you may need to set the utility charging current very low and then sneak up on it.

Just note that when AC input is provided, the inverter is NOT inverting any more. It is passing through the power to loads and using any surplus to charge. Very easy to overload a generator when it's not 20-30%+ larger than the inverter rating.

I want to be able to charge battery’s if necessary but feeling a little intimidated to try it. I have a 9500 inverter generator and my plug is attached to my magna sine MMP.
I think all I have to do is set my switches in the correct positions but I don’t see how it back feeds to charge the battery’s. Can I get some guidance on this matter? Thank you!

Last edited:
No offence meant but I'm confused. Do you not have a user manual for your inverter or download one from the manufacturer? It will at least tell you if the Sungold SP 6548 has a battery charger built in to that inverter, because you don't seem to know.

But you also say you have a Magna Sine MPP and isn't that an inverter/charger? Can you not read the user manual for it to tell you how to connect your generator to charge your batteries?

Why do you have 2 inverters and why don't you know that both inverters have battery chargers built in?

Also you say you have a "plug" into the Magna Sine MPP but what plug? What does that mean? Be more specific in describing plugs, wires and wire gauge.

The device user manuals are usually quite complete with operating and connection instructions and diagrams. They should be your first step and should guide you well.

Plus a user manual would be in your hands vs you reading guess work via the internet as we cannot see what you are seeing.

No offence meant but I'm confused. Do you not have a user manual for your inverter or download one from the manufacturer? It will at least tell you if the Sungold SP 6548 has a battery charger built in to that inverter, because you don't seem to know.

But you also say you have a Magna Sine MPP and isn't that an inverter/charger? Can you not read the user manual for it to tell you how to connect your generator to charge your batteries?
two different posters. Should have started a different thread.

I want to be able to charge battery’s if necessary but feeling a little intimidated to try it. I have a 9500 inverter generator and my plug is attached to my magna sine MMP.
I think all I have to do is set my switches in the correct positions but I don’t see how it back feeds to charge the battery’s. Can I get some guidance on this matter? Thank you!
Need to post what model you have.

In general, the Generator can REPLACE the Grid. You cannot have both connected at the same time or bad things happen.

Most Grid and Off-Grid inverters have the ability to accept a Generator. The trick is the settings, and quality of power. The Inverter needs to know when it is connected to a Generator so it doesn't over tax the generator. The generator also has to produce a decent enough sine way for the Inverter. Bad sine wave, and the inverter can refuse to connect.

How you connect, and what settings, are inverter model dependent.

Back