diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid desert nest

That was a bit of tongue in cheek. Having worked in electronics and the power industry all my life I know the difference. Here on the board the thinking is VA=Watts. That's why I remind folks about Victron inverters. We can easily forget a 3000VA Victron is 2400 Watts. Saw one vendor today and the inverter was showing as 3000VA = 3000 Watts in the add.

Are you aware that all inverters are rated in VA regardless of how they're advertised? The issue here is that Victron makes their ratings clear. 5000W for PF 1. 4000W for PF 0.8.

Go look at the ratings for a Magnum MS4XXXPAE unit... Watts, Watts, everywhere... until you go look at the actual specs... 4000VA.

Yes, one needs to be aware of the fine print. Another thing is the weight. That APC is like many others, around a 100#. For me that is about $250 shipping from UT. Then arrange for the neighbor to be home, have the forks on the tractor and unload the thing. Next haul it out to AZ. Might just be easier all around to run into White Mountain Solar and get a 5k Atlas, 4000 watt to start. And 97# so only takes 2 men and a boy to move it. HA!

Yes, one needs to be aware of the fine print. Another thing is the weight. That APC is like many others, around a 100#. For me that is about $250 shipping from UT. Then arrange for the neighbor to be home, have the forks on the tractor and unload the thing. Next haul it out to AZ. Might just be easier all around to run into White Mountain Solar and get a 5k Atlas, 4000 watt to start. And 97# so only takes 2 men and a boy to move it. HA!
My 12kw one took three people to manhandle it into the cab of the truck- and I used the tilt-trays winch to unload it... 72kg/160lbs...

1707400334031.png

Weight of items has been a problem for me with this whole project. I max out at a 65# AGM under the motor home steps. Can just barely get it out.
This has me rethinking the inverter. A 3000VA will power the 15000 BTU A/C and most weigh in at 55#.

On another note thinking about making a lean too style ground mount attached to a carport. That keeps everything in reach. Carport vertical posts are on 5 foot centers. And carport wind loading is up to 140 mph in a lot of states. Ours handled 130 mph last September . One didn't like the big tree though.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 8
Expert Power 3000 watt/VA? Inverter due in today. Has an excellent manual. Even explains the difference between VA and watts. Also how to figure battery bank size with examples. Allmthe literature says 3000 watt. We'll see. 30 amp ATS, 60 AMP charger both of which I don't need. Again We'll see.

Back