diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid for small Cabin

What I've read about the temperature low for a completely charged lead-acid is -40F, which just so happens to also be -40C. -79 is colder than any other statement I've ever seen.

I'm in California though, and just about the only place I think might get to -40 is the top of Mount Whitney, so I'm not talking from experience.
Hmmm bill gave me that number a few years a go ? I could be wrong
I can get to -27f in my area .
My battery box dosent get any where near 0 the coldest I’ve seen is 21o and that is when it’s -15 for a week .
And if I’m cycling the batteries I stay around 45° All winter ?

Well it has been a while since I posted but here is an update.

I spent a good portion of the spring pulling everything together. I started out with 4 Deep Cycle 12V 75AH batteries. I have an RV that was connected along with a water pump (1HP) along with some LED lights, power tools, fans, laptop/phone chargers, etc. On more than one occasion the inverter would shut down at night due to low battery voltage. I finally realized the RV fridge was a power hog which was causing this. Late spring I added 4 more of the same batteries for a total of 8 Deep Cycle 12V 75AH batteries. I also bought a new refrigerator for the cabin and from that point forward I never had an issue. I actually ran an air compressor on and off all day when I built a deck (nail gun). All in all I believe I had a very successful first year with my install. I brought the batteries home because I did not want to take the chance of having them discharge and freeze.

In researching the best way to connect them for balanced charging, I found a thread that is close but I wanted to update this and figured that would be best. I have come up with what I think is the best alternative and below is a diagram.

IMG_6707.jpg

Would love to get some input on this.

Bottom line is that my system is working fantastic and I have to thank everyone for all their input. I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has about my system. I could never have done this without all the input from people on this forum that have done this.

Last edited:
Would love to get some input on this.
I’m seeing two 24V arrangements, but as far as balance I wondering if a 12V-4Px12V-4P arrangement might be better? But overall I can’t criticize that very much.
And I could be off base?

Last edited:
I’m seeing two 24V arrangements, but as far as balance I wondering if a 12V-4Px12V-4P arrangement might be better? But overall I can’t criticize that very much.
And I could be of base?
The original photo did not have the blue connection, which takes the two parallel 12V and puts in series for 24V. I just edited and updated photo.

That's now 4P2S, a bit unusual.

Somewhat longer wiring (higher resistance) than 2S4P. Maybe it provides a benefit if each 2S would be mismatched?
Maybe more difficult to do equalizing charges on 12V battery individually without breaking the pack (not sure if that is a good idea anyway; don't try it while charging/discharging entire pack at same time.)

2S4P is what we would normally see.

That's now 4P2S, a bit unusual.

Somewhat longer wiring (higher resistance) than 2S4P. Maybe it provides a benefit if each 2S would be mismatched?
Maybe more difficult to do equalizing charges on 12V battery individually without breaking the pack (not sure if that is a good idea anyway; don't try it while charging/discharging entire pack at same time.)

2S4P is what we would normally see.
That makes sense. I literally just took the example for perfectly balanced charging and then put them in series. I just did a quick sketch and as you stated there is less wiring going 2S4P. I am really glad I posted this. I will update with a better drawn sketch. Thank you so much.

Below is my updated picture. I went from 15 to 12 wired connections. Also, for clarification, all series and parallel wires are exactly the same length and gauge.

IMG_6713.jpg

Last edited:
Back