diy solar

diy solar

Need Help total new to Off Grid Power for cabin.

I would like to add my $0.02 to this thread.

Personally I have been on an ever expanding solar journey for the past six years and have a similar off-grid needs as the OP.
Plenty of bad choices, expensive choices, along the way. I upgraded my system last year with a 24volt Victron Multi-Plus and it is a fantastic piece of kit that does everything it's supposed to. An excellent choice for off grid use. But knowing what I do now I should have gone straight to 48volt right off the get. Don't get me wrong the 24V setup will get the job done but its just better if you have the cash to go straight to 48V.

Get a 100ah 48volt battery to start out and if you decide you need more it is easily expanded.
Right now the price of panels is way down, the price of LFP batteries is down and Victron has recently dropped their prices. A great time to assemble a new system.

You are getting excellent advise here in this thread from all the posters above. Current Connected are a perfect source for the newbie.

Good luck and happy harvest!

knowing what I do now I should have gone straight to 48volt right off the get. Don't get me wrong the 24V setup will get the job done but its just better if you have the cash to go straight to 48V.
Yep, I think that's good advice. 48V just expands the options going forward. I love my little 24V system, but at today's lower prices, I'd likely go with 48V. My debate was (is, for the new place) Victron (legendary reliability) or EG4 6000XP (great combo of features and price point). Given OP's location, I'd lean Victron for the reliability.

I have an off grid cabin that has a pretty simple set up that has served us well in the 2 years we have used it. I have about 1500 watts of panels feeding into a Growatt 24v 3000w inverter all in one . I also have two Lifepower4 24v batteries for storage. I run led lights, a small refrigerator, a 120v well pump, and outlets throughout the cabin on this system. In the winter months, I do use some generator power to charge the batteries if they get low. I turn the system off in the winter to prevent charging issues in below freezing temps. It makes charging the batteries with solar more of an issue during those months. I use a Honda eu2000I for this and it works well tied into the Growatt.

Yep, I think that's good advice. 48V just expands the options going forward. I love my little 24V system, but at today's lower prices, I'd likely go with 48V. My debate was (is, for the new place) Victron (legendary reliability) or EG4 6000XP (great combo of features and price point). Given OP's location, I'd lean Victron for the reliability.
I would have gone with 48v if the batteries were available at the time. They were backordered and i went with the system I could get immediately. Has worked out fine, but would like the ability to add more input if needed.

Back