diy solar

diy solar

Need Help total new to Off Grid Power for cabin.

Cpaddock87

I need some help understanding what I need for my off grid cabin in the yukon. I need to know what I would need or if there are people that would fly in and install? I am fly in only we are way off the grid 45 min flight from the closest road

First you need to understand your needs. A single 12v light bulb, or you planning on installing a dishwasher?

I’m guessing this cabin has existed without anything for sometime?

No I will have it pretty primitive. Mainly just lights & electrical outlets. We will maybe Run little Frig & Freezer with it or we could put those on Gas if we need to.

Figure out the power needs of what you want to run.
Max power at any moment in time determines inverter size.
How much power over a day, and how many days you want determine battery size.
Daily needs and battery size (along with location info) determines how much panels.

Still much more info needed... What is the occupancy situation in terms of time (i.e., a week every year for vacation, or living there)? How many people? You mention gas - Can you get reliable propane deliveries (even in winter)? Does cabin need heat when not occupied? What type of heat when occupied? Generator available for backup?

We will be at the cabin for 60 days a year. I don't really know how do I figure out the power consumption ? We will have typical stuff plugged in like a couple phones & couple Computers may 4 lights I will use LED if that helps. Maybe a Toaster. Just not totally sure never done this before so I am green

Still much more info needed... What is the occupancy situation in terms of time (i.e., a week every year for vacation, or living there)? How many people? You mention gas - Can you get reliable propane deliveries (even in winter)? Does cabin need heat when not occupied? What type of heat when occupied? Generator available for backup?
We will be there 60 days a year but probably only in the cabin in the evening. there will be any where from 2 people to 4 people there is Gas genterators we use now for power. Just small gas powered Honda we are just trying to get away from Hauling Gas into the Bush. We will be using Wood Stove for Heat

the fridge would be the biggest concern. Gas is the most predictable but then comes the issue of hauling tanks.

Is it a dry camp or you have a water source and need plumbing/water pressure,

If I were to wager a one stop kit to meet minimum loads and have the ability to scale up.

200ah 24v lifepo
3k multiplus
600-1000w solar
SCC to suit the PV.

Easily scalable if loads increase but enough to run a toaster/coffee maker/hair drier and most cabin styles needs.

How big of a plane you running? That might limit the size PV panels you can haul in. It’d be best to avoid 100w panels due to cost per watt but is easy to move around.

Last edited:
the fridge would be the biggest concern.

If I were to wager a one stop kit to meet minimum loads and have the ability to scale up.

200ah 24v lifepo
3k multiplus
600-1000w solar
SCC to suit the PV.

Easily scalable if loads increase but enough to run a toaster/coffee maker/hair drier and most cabin styles needs.
I was thinking maybe just leaving the frig on Gas so it wouldn't pull alot of power & we just focus on Lights & Plug ins for Phones & Star Link with Computers

We will be there 60 days a year but probably only in the cabin in the evening. there will be any where from 2 people to 4 people there is Gas genterators we use now for power. Just small gas powered Honda we are just trying to get away from Hauling Gas into the Bush. We will be using Wood Stove for Heat
Size of generator? Does it provide enough power, or do you want more?

Land for ground mount, or roof area for roof mount? Shading issues? Flat or mountain terrain? If mountain, which direction do you see the horizon?

Location?

Last edited:
the fridge would be the biggest concern. Gas is the most predictable but then comes the issue of hauling tanks.

200ah 24v lifepo
3k multiplus
600-1000w solar
SCC to suit the PV.

How big of a plane you running? That might limit the size PV panels you can haul in. It’d be best to avoid 100w panels due to cost per watt but is easy to move around.
We thought about putting Water in a tank up on stilts but a Pressure tank would be nice never thought about it.

Size of generator? Does it provide enough power, or do you want more?
We just want to eliminate the generator all together it is just hauling the ga & the noise from the generator running & we shut it off so there is no power at all if someone wanted to turn on a light to go out side we dont have to fire up the generator to do that.

200ah 24v lifepo
3k multiplus
600-1000w solar
SCC to suit the PV.

Where would I buy all this stuff ?

We are only there July 20 to Oct 6 so we dont have to worry about going thru the winter.

Where would I buy all this stuff ?
I recommend hitting up Current Connected. But there must be a Canadian company to do the same and prob be cheaper on shipping.

They should be able to put together a small kit that should be kinda plug and play for you.

the fridge would be the biggest concern.

200ah 24v lifepo
3k multiplus
600-1000w solar
SCC to suit the PV.

I like this plan, and have that exact Victron inverter. Rock solid. Paired with Victron 150/45 solar charge controller and six 200 amp Newpowa panels on a 10x20' shed roof, which should be similar in size to a small cabin. Something similar should work well for you (maybe only 3-5 panels if much sun available, and assuming summer use. Winter changes all of this.

For the use you're describing, and again assuming summer use, a 200 AH 24v battery should work well. You can NOT allow ANY LiFePO4 battery to charge at below freezing temps, so plan for that (disconnect when not there). Other battery chemistries do not have that limitation but have other problems. You need to understand this before going much further.

One other thought is the newer EG4 6000XP inverter, which has the charge controller and many needed switches/breakers built in. Would require 48V battery but at 100 AH would be same amount of power and probably similar cost. You might want to speak to Dexter at Current Connected (@HighTechLab on here). They sell both Victron and EG4 and can advise you on/supply additional switches, wire, fusing, etc. needed.

We just want to eliminate the generator all together it is just hauling the ga & the noise from the generator running & we shut it off so there is no power at all if someone wanted to turn on a light to go out side we dont have to fire up the generator to do that.
I understand you don't want to run the generator. The genarator size is an indication of how large a solar system you need.

Re: Starlink (which I use): Sucks more power than you'd think. Plan for a constant 100W draw (2.4kwh per day). If you have - 1200 wats of solar panels, that's 2 hours/day of good sun, just for that. A small frig is about 1.2 KWH/day, so there's another hour. LED lights and computers likely less but plan on another 1.2 KWH to be safe. So. 4.8 KWH of daily use = 4 hours of good sun needed. On rainy days, helllooooo battery.

Re: Starlink (which I use): Sucks more power than you'd think. Plan for a constant 100W draw (2.4kwh per day). If you have - 1200 wats of solar panels, that's 2 hours/day of good sun, just for that. A small frig is about the same, so there's another 2 hours. LED lights and computers likely less but plan on another 1.2 KWH to be safe. So. 3.6 KWH of daily use = 3 hours of good sun needed. On rainy days, helllooooo battery.
We will probably only turn it on at night but that is great info thank you

Back