diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid King confusion?

_ke11en

Hello good people of diy solar land!
I have noticed some discrepancies in The Off Grid King info and was hoping someone could help clarify.

In Wills book he recommends using the following specs to build The Off Grid King setup

•800 watts of solar panels
•2X 40amp MPPT controllers
•300ah lithium battery (or the largest you can afford) I’m looking to do 400ah by combining two lithium battery’s…
•2000watt inverter OR LARGER

I have not found any diagrams depicting this setup and it looks like a few people were trying to figure it out as well.

Is there anyone who knows what the best way is to hook this up using a 3000W inverter and 2 40amp MPPTs with 2 200ah lithium batteries? ?

I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would need 2X 40amp charge controllers for just 800 watts of solar panels it seems very overkill. It might be better for you to follow one of his guides on all-in-one systems as they're a lot simpler and are cheaper. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/all-in-one-122448v-packages.html Either way I'm also curious to see how you would get multiple charge controllers to work together as I plan to hook up a Renogy 40 amp to my LV2424 and I'm not entirely sure how to do so.

Yes!
I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would need 2X 40amp charge controllers for just 800 watts of solar panels it seems very overkill. It might be better for you to follow one of his guides on all-in-one systems as they're a lot simpler and are cheaper. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/all-in-one-122448v-packages.html Either way I'm also curious to see how you would get multiple charge controllers to work together as I plan to hook up a Renogy 40 amp to my LV2424 and I'm not entirely sure how to do so.
My understanding is an 80 amp charge controller is needed but Will suggested using 2 40a controllers because it is cheaper. Alas he did not include any instructions on how to do that so I found myself looking around his forum here..

I haven’t followed that link yet but im about to check it out. I think I’ve been to every one of his suggested systems and it seems the Off Grid King is something you would want to build if you plan on using power tools or running multiple larger pulling devices at once. Also all the stuff needed to build it is currently available. I have built one of his 400watt solar array 40a 2000w inverter setups in my RV and it works great. I was hoping the Off Grid King would be a nice power source for a homestead type senario. Thx for your reply.

For a homestead you should be considering a 48 volt system.
Thx for the reply… I was fighting that realization because I’ve already built a 12v for my RV so I was familiar with that. Looks like I should be going bigger. Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah I think his older systems specs are for 12v and 24v systems. Where as if you need to have 12v for specific items itd be best to go with a 24v or 48v system.

800w/12v is 66A so that’s prob why 2x40a SCC are recommended.

Thx for the reply… I was fighting that realization because I’ve already built a 12v for my RV so I was familiar with that. Looks like I should be going bigger. Appreciate the feedback.
Assuming you are in North America the next branch on the decision tree is 120/240VAC or 120VAC.

Hello good people of diy solar land!
I have noticed some discrepancies in The Off Grid King info and was hoping someone could help clarify.

In Wills book he recommends using the following specs to build The Off Grid King setup

•800 watts of solar panels
•2X 40amp MPPT controllers
•300ah lithium battery (or the largest you can afford) I’m looking to do 400ah by combining two lithium battery’s…
•2000watt inverter OR LARGER

I have not found any diagrams depicting this setup and it looks like a few people were trying to figure it out as well.

Is there anyone who knows what the best way is to hook this up using a 3000W inverter and 2 40amp MPPTs with 2 200ah lithium batteries? ?
I need help as well.

Yes!

My understanding is an 80 amp charge controller is needed but Will suggested using 2 40a controllers because it is cheaper. Alas he did not include any instructions on how to do that so I found myself looking around his forum here..

I haven’t followed that link yet but im about to check it out. I think I’ve been to every one of his suggested systems and it seems the Off Grid King is something you would want to build if you plan on using power tools or running multiple larger pulling devices at once. Also all the stuff needed to build it is currently available. I have built one of his 400watt solar array 40a 2000w inverter setups in my RV and it works great. I was hoping the Off Grid King would be a nice power source for a homestead type senario. Thx for your reply.
My 400 Classic is awesome too never a single problem.

Back