diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid Solar / Battery monitoring and control freeware

OK im back at it for a little bit and is this not correct node_exporter.service i created? that is where the executable is located

[Unit]
Description=Node Exporter
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
User=solar
EnvironmentFile=/home/solar/Dev/Grafana/node_exporter-1.0.1.linux-armv7/node_exporter
ExecStart=/home/solar/Dev/Grafana/node_exporter-1.0.1.linux-armv7/node_exporter --no-collector.mdadm --collector.textfile.directory=/ramdisk

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

but this is error i get:

root@raspberrypi:/home/solar/Dev/Grafana/node_exporter-1.0.1.linux-armv7# sudo systemctl status node_exporter
node_exporter.service - Node Exporter
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/node_exporter.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: resources)
CPU: 0

Dec 12 19:53:52 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Dec 12 19:53:52 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Node Exporter.
Dec 12 19:57:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
Dec 12 19:57:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
Dec 12 19:57:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Dec 12 19:57:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Node Exporter.
Dec 12 19:59:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
Dec 12 19:59:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
Dec 12 19:59:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: node_exporter.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Dec 12 19:59:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Node Exporter.

I know this is very basic stuff its just a path to the executable which the file is there... sorry to dirty this thread up with such stupid issues like this

I now have this on dashboard so a bit more information for sure! i think its just scripts left on my todo list now...
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 8.42.51 PM.png

Ok so now have issue with rc-local.service:

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# systemctl status rc-local.service
rc-local.service - /etc/rc.local Compatibility
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d
└─debian.conf
/etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d
└─ttyoutput.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-12-12 20:49:12 CST; 11min ago
CPU: 17ms
Dec 12 20:49:11 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting /etc/rc.local Compatibility...
Dec 12 20:49:12 raspberrypi rc.local[521]: /etc/rc.local: 30: import: not found
Dec 12 20:49:12 raspberrypi systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Dec 12 20:49:12 raspberrypi systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 12 20:49:12 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
Dec 12 21:00:18 raspberrypi systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service:11: Support for option SysVStartPriority= has been removed and it is ignored

ok i got rc-local.service running following this guide:
But no idea how to do scripts(next step im on)
Lost in cheat sheet here:
add our scripts to rc.local before exit 0

Come to think of it i have yet to add anything from solarshed-master except i imported renogy dashboard but thats it. so very much stuck at the scripts part which im sure is simple but not finding anything to help yet

Thanks for the feedback. The cheat sheet assumes your familiar with basic unix administration, so it will be difficult if your not familiar with using the command line in a ssh shell.

I can't explain how to use an editor like vi or ed, that's beyond the scope of the project. I will add some text explaining my assumptions, maybe that will help.

Anything pertaining to installing Grafana/Prometheus/nodeexporter is already heavily documented on dozens of sites, you can easily get them running without my help. Millions of people use them for other purposes around the world.

I will go over it again this holiday and try to fill in any missing information, until then, the are tons of google and utube searches you can use to work stuff out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The cheat sheet assumes your familiar with basic unix administration, so it will be difficult if your not familiar with using the command line in a ssh shell.

I can't explain how to use an editor like vi or ed, that's beyond the scope of the project. I will add some text explaining my assumptions, maybe that will help.

I will go over it again this holiday and try to fill in any missing information, until then, the are tons of google and utube searches you can use to work stuff out.

Using editor is not an issue at all it’s just a few other details that could make it a bit smoother. Include steps for adding Prometheus and node-exporter to startup and also the scripts part I’m not sure where to start with the scripts.
It is nice though as I am learning and that’s always a nice side effect

Anything pertaining to installing and automatically starting Grafana/Prometheus/nodeexporter is already heavily documented on dozens of sites, you can easily get them running without my help. Millions of people use Grafana for other purposes around the world. Look at the Grafana site documentation. That's what i did when i first used it.

It's all a great learning experience you will use in the future. Have fun.

I'm not sure why we would need a Raspberry PI at all.
Can't we just run this on a Debian-based - say Ubuntu - Linux distro?
And use a simple USB adapter cable?

Can't we just run this on a Debian-based - say Ubuntu - Linux distro?

Sure. A Pi also runs a Debian based system. I also run it in a Debian VM. It's just that a Pi provides a simple, common platform that makes it easy for people not used to Linux. Getting a random laptop or whatever installed is more challenging than a Pi.

You wouldn't care to translate the cheat sheet to a full-fledged Linux installation like Ubuntu, would you? :·)

Great. But, would you say that it just boils down to installing grafana and prometheus, linking the COM port, and running the python?

I've made disk images in the past, but the software gets updated so quickly, it's a lot of work. If you want an out of the box commercial solution, look at

They have taken what i made and developed a product.

@BarkingSpider I sure hope they didn't take what you made and developed a product!!
I am still working on this but will probably have to wait for a more detailed(for dummies) cheat sheet.

If you ever wanted to make me an image for the Renogy charge controller i would gladly contribute to your beer fund until then i will keep plugging away at bits when i can and hope to get it going on my own with help from this sit and google as i know i am close...well i think i am close i have grafana and prometheus working together so that is at least 60% there :)

Back