diy solar

diy solar

off grid system

I made 1 order from GSL Energy via AliBaba and will never do it again and I despised the entire long, convoluted process of misinformation, upselling, horrific lack of technical information, disgusting shipping process, long shipping delays due to BS "unforseen" occurences, excuses and national holidays and so on and not saving that much money. Back then, there were fewer choices compared to now.
That echos the conversations I've had with a number of people who import - they all got burnt on the first few orders until they hit the right supplier, with the right attitude (ie "Im a buyer who is here for the long haul, burn me and i'll never buy from you again, but treat me well and i'll order at least X thousand dollars a month in stock") and demanded the right specs with the right proof of meeting those specs.
It seems if you are in the 1-order-to-try-it-out group, you'll be cannon fodder as you have no leverage.

So, if you have 4-5 estimates already, then you should have 4-5 energy audits already done which you could then easily share. Or were the estimates just based on the same vague info that you are providing here, as in, no energy audit but based on just guesses as to what you think you want or might need?

So let us see copies of the exact estimates? Personally, I gave up a while ago with this thread as it is just to vague. ... and don't call me "bro".

So, if you have 4-5 estimates already, then you should have 4-5 energy audits already done which you could then easily share. Or were the estimates just based on the same vague info that you are providing here, as in, no energy audit but based on just guesses as to what you think you want or might need?

So let us see copies of the exact estimates? Personally, I gave up a while ago with this thread as it is just to vague. ... and don't c

hi guys on here from new zealand, looking to go completely off grid and the general consensus from the local solar guys is i will need
12 kwh of panels. 25 kwh of batterys. and around 15000 watts of inverter and an auto start generator. all 48volt
The bad bit is its around $50000 to do this, so figured i would have a go myself thru alibaba ( we dont have chinese wharehouses here) so my question is who would you guys recommend i deal with.
Figure i should be able to get EVE grade a cells or racking system easy enough. how much difference is there between panels manufactures, surely not too much

also undecided on either eg4 inverters or growatt or do i just bite the bullet and get a victron quattro, they bout 9grand here but sounds like they are the best and have great customer service.

cant seem to find sol-arc here and i think they similar in price to victron anyways

am sure i have not thought of everything yet but any advice for a newbie be great

cheers jeff
Hi, based on my experience with a smaller but similar setup, would be to scale down your PV in relation to the battery. Or install 2 inverters (ie. 2x SMA SB 6.0 ) for that and find a smart way to burn of any excess energy on-the-fly.
Don't expect full cycles on your battery when you rly want to get off-grid!
Instead of a generator investment you might want to consider to add a secondary battery system with separate charge-inverter as a UPS. You already aim for a DIY battery build, so it should definitely be worth a second look for that price. The bonus of a capable secondary battery system is very nice to integrate in smart home appliances, as it allows you to execute a full cycle as maintainance or capacity recalculation, without compromising your home power supply. Secondary it allows you to dive deeper with pre-discharges.
That's how I call the discharge of the battery with a useful consumer early in the morning. The time is choosed in my system in regards to forecast expected sunhours, so at the end of the day you top up at 95-100% SOC. Works out nicely and guarantees 99.98% energy usage!

At the end of the day, the best advice I can give you might be, to get some smart inverters, which are supported by a homeassistant or similar management point.
That's the point where it gets fun! Without it, the system might always stay a miraculous thing which just works fine until it doesn't.

totally off grid. had energy audit going for ten thousand Watt panels. 8000 Watt victron inverter and 32x 280ah cells. will have all inverter type kitchen ware and wood burner with wet back. no gas. maybe air con for cooling. just gotta find some panels thru alibaba and try not to get ripped off
Late to the party here, but getting ripped off when you have no pre-existing relationship with a foreign supplier is the norm (for some countries), particularly for components like inverters, panels, and cells/batteries, where B,C,D grades etc are hard to spot from A grade.
Not so bad for cable, breakers, and mounting gear, where its generally pass/fail and the grade is visible.

What incentive does the supplier have to make you a happy customer and come back for another order when they know you wont be back? (unless they think you like being burnt twice)

IMO, rather than importing, you would be better off talking to the smaller NZ suppliers - i've never seen much in the way of sharp pricing from the big players, but the small players can and do especially at the end of a shipment of panels before the next model arrives. Also the small importing companies already have their import clearances, customs client IDs, etc, and your first importation of panels will definitely get all the inspections/checks, and you will be charged for every attendance by customs - not so much once you have a reputation for perfect documentation and every box ticked. There is a reason there are so many "customs agents" in the logistics industry - it takes a lot of local knowledge and experience to smooth the path for freight, make sure everything is in place to get no holdups.

I have probably spoken to six people in the last 24? months who have imported cells - zero out of six would do it again.
The flip side of this is; if two people say they don't like broccoli, but one has heard about broccoli., and the other one has actually tried it, the one who tried it and wouldn't repeat it probably has the more valid opinion.

Flipping back the other way though ... Do you have the skills to look at photos and test results of a panel, and know that its not a B grade panel? Further, how are you going to ensure that the test results you are looking at (if you even ask for them) are actually from the panels you are buying? Further from that, what are you going to do if panels arrive and you repeat the tests but can't get the same performance? Withhold payment? They already have your money.
Also, how many extra panels are you going to import? Surely you wouldn't just import the exact number you need, given the high probability of forklift damage to the outside panel(s) of a pallet? I spoke to an importer in 2023, said he had broken panels or bent frames on at least 1 panel from every 2nd shipment - that's a 50% breakage rate of "at least 1 panel".

In my (2nd hand) experience, the only card you hold (as an importer) is the dollar value of your next order, and the "good will" encompassed in the history of your orders, so when you are a single-order importer, you basically have nothing and you better believe that the sales agents at Ali will already know you are a single-order importer.

Bottom line; If i were looking for something that should last 30 years, and I didn't have experience importing it already, I wouldn't be worrying about the margin i'm paying a local company. I'd be getting a relationship with a local company, get the best product advice so that i'm not buying twice, and get the right component, probably with a local warranty, and probably with free installation/setup/optimisation advice.

Back