diy solar

diy solar

off grid system

cheers fella great advice and thank you. will look into all that stuff. thru we have a very mild climate. maybe two frosts a year and never above 30 degrees Celsius during summer. Would you really need a climate controlled room
If you are between 0 and 30°C, then you won’t need climate control.

yup

yup only last year we were allowed to buy from Amazon australia. prices for solar bloody expensive. we at the bottom of the world bro and it all costs. thru on a brighter note we got no borders just a heap of ocean between us and rest of the freaks.

But everything is made in China ? Aus is just a stone's throw away.

Doesn't make sense when you think about it !

hi thanks for reply. my energy audit was getting 3 quotes from solar companies in my area. they all come back with similar numbers in regards to size. my main question was in regards to suppliers to trust from alibaba as we don't have wharehouses here

hi guys on here from new zealand, looking to go completely off grid and the general consensus from the local solar guys is i will need

Meaning you already have an on-grid house, and asked for a system to power it with grid disconnected?
If so, alternative appliances, energy sources, or lifestyle could make it affordable.

The grid is good, cheap, easy.
But these days, PV can be even cheaper.
Where allowed, grid-tie PV with net metering provides greatest financial benefit (but no autonomy.)

Doing your own audit with itemized list would let you and us come up with optimizations.

Whereabout are you Wilsey, North Island or South Island could make some difference in your power needs. With your cimate I am sure that you can do without air conditioning which we require with summer temperatures here getting above the mid thirties with high humidity in some areas.
If you are prepared to cut down on unneccessary appliances and do your own stuff you can accomplish quite a lot at a better cost if you can find used panels in NZ. You might also have to face all the regulations your rulers may throw at you unless you are rural and can bypass that stuff. I have managed to get a small home 99% off grid for less than $20,000 NZ and am savind around $150 a month in doing so. Cook with LPG and in the winter heat with LPG run up to 15000BTU aircons in the summer so it can be done.

Meaning you already have an on-grid house, and asked for a system to power it with grid disconnected?
If so, alternative appliances, energy sources, or lifestyle could make it affordable.

The grid is good, cheap, easy.
But these days, PV can be even cheaper.
Where allowed, grid-tie PV with net metering provides greatest financial benefit (but no autonomy.)

Doing your own audit with itemized list would let you and us come up with optimizations.
totally off grid. had energy audit going for ten thousand Watt panels. 8000 Watt victron inverter and 32x 280ah cells. will have all inverter type kitchen ware and wood burner with wet back. no gas. maybe air con for cooling. just gotta find some panels thru alibaba and try not to get ripped off

We hear there are a lot of scrap panels in Australia, due to rules when rooftop solar gets changed.
Might be cheaper having those shipped to you on pallets, vs. buying new from China.

You say "energy audit" but list alternative energy system capacity.
Is there a list of appliances, wattage, hours of operation for your home, that was used to size such a system?
10kW of PV ought to make 50 kWh/day +/- much of the year. Unless heating, cooling, or lots of water pumping, I don't know where that is being used.

We hear there are a lot of scrap panels in Australia, due to rules when rooftop solar gets changed.
Might be cheaper having those shipped to you on pallets, vs. buying new from China.

You say "energy audit" but list alternative energy system capacity.
Is there a list of appliances, wattage, hours of operation for your home, that was used to size such a system?
10kW of PV ought to make 50 kWh/day +/- much of the year. Unless heating, cooling, or lots of water pumping, I don't know where that is being used.
hi yeah ok best have another look across the ditch cheers fella. ah got five solar guys to estimate via conversation. They all estimated at previously stated. Not too worried about summer it's our winter that needs to be taking care of

You say "energy audit" but list alternative energy system capacity
You do need to do an actual energy audit as a tool. Otherwise it’s just all for wildhat playing around and well intentioned guessing.

You do need to do an actual energy audit as a tool. Otherwise it’s just all for wildhat playing around and well intentioned guessing.
four estimates from solar companys based on all the info i provided, they all come back approx the same, that close nuf for ya

Nope.

We have not seen a list of power you consume. Nor the plan for days of autonomy without sun.
Only how much the salesmen would like to sell you.

ok well it's been discussed via phone with 4 different sales man and they all come back with close estimates. so that's how I came up with my sizing. so that's that moving on to next part of build. cheers

That STILL doesn't say what peak wattage you are going to try to draw, or how many kWh you need to make it through one night. Or whether or not you have an interest in getting through a couple cloudy days.

You have to define what you're trying to accomplish. Not just, "I want a truck"

1691875085089.png 1691875114294.png

But if you just want to oversize, you certainly can do that. That's what I have done, except for battery.

four estimates from solar companys based on all the info i provided, they all come back approx the same, that close nuf for ya
No. They want your money.
If it was enough we would’ve not kept asking

None of us are going to get paid or even to leave St Peter’s gate and head for Final Accounting and get any credit for helping you on this forum, either.

So, if you have 4-5 estimates already, then you should have 4-5 energy audits already done which you could then easily share. Or were the estimates just based on the same vague info that you are providing here, as in, no energy audit but based on just guesses as to what you think you want or might need?

So let us see copies of the exact estimates? Personally, I gave up a while ago with this thread as it is just to vague. ... and don't call me "bro".

Back