diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

The purpose of air pumps on modern cars is to help reduce catalytic converter warm-up time. Oxygen sensors are heated for the same reason.

Earlier cars, the air was actually injected right after the exhaust valve after the car had warmed up to help combust partially and unburned fuel...kind of a crude 2-way catalyst effect.

Newer cars have their emissions measured by the mile and part of that testing process involves measuring emissions from a cold-start so that is why they focus quite a bit of energy getting the catalytic converters up to operating temp. Also, that means that things like larger tires have an impact on measured emissions.

In other words emissions are a function of the amount of fuel burned to go a mile whereas in the past, they were only concerned about what percentage of the exhaust HC, Co and Nox made up.

Smog pumps injected air to help combust the excess fuel on startup. A very late spark lights the mixture up as it's going out the exhaust, basically applying a blowtorch to the cat. 90%+ of emissions are during a cold start. Once the cat is lit off emissions are pretty negligible.

I don't want voice commands either.

Was discussing this with my sister in law this weekend, and think I figured out what I don't like about it. I'm one of those people who doesn't have an internal monologue.

Not sure how the rest of you folks do it, do you narrate your life as you go through your day? Anyway, I don't have that. When I want to turn on the windshield wipers, I automatically reach for the wiper control, and don't have to consciously think about it. Talking, on the other hand, does require conscious effort. Obviously I'm capable of talking, but reaching for a physical tactile control is much easier and takes less mental bandwidth.

I also don't want the added complexity of a voice recognition system vs. a simple switch, nor do I want my car listening to me all the time. This is adding complexity just for the sake of added complexity, maybe being able to advertise "automatic wipers". This is NOT an improvement or an upgrade.

I own a 22 Leaf Plus and we love it. I've put 20k miles on it in 18 months and charge at home with solar (thanks Will) 90% of the time. Practical and super easy for anyone to drive. Personally, I would spend a little bit more and get a 40kw Leaf (2016-2017) or a used Bolt that has had it's battery replaced. Early Leaf's are great cars but are going to need battery replacements at some point and the 2011-2012 models aren't as easy to upgrade to the 40kw battery as later models.
Hi, I have a 2019 base Leaf, been level one charging in the garage. I am in the process of installing solar in the garage, what are you using to (hardware) to connect the Leaf’s charge cord ? I have a eg4 6000ex inverter, output is 240/120 split phase at 27 amp. Thank you for any information you have

Hi, I have a 2019 base Leaf, been level one charging in the garage. I am in the process of installing solar in the garage, what are you using to (hardware) to connect the Leaf’s charge cord ? I have a eg4 6000ex inverter, output is 240/120 split phase at 27 amp. Thank you for any information you have

As I recall, the EVSE charge adapter that comes with the Leaf, which connects to a 50 amp outlet, draws 32 amps. That's for my 2019 SV Plus. The base model may be different.

I put in a 50 amp 220 outlet in my garage. I ran 6 awg wires from the breaker box to the outlet, through conduit. I wish I had done 4 awg.

Have you seen the new chademo to CCS adapter on alibaba? 1500 is steep! But that’s the only thing that stops me from acquiring a leaf. If those adapters become more reasonable I think I may track a leaf plus down.
How do you like yours?

How about a relay switching Leaf's connection between 120V and 240V? Two levels of charging, depending on SoC & inverter load.

1500 is steep! But that’s the only thing that stops me from acquiring a leaf.
I am not familiar with the different ranges of the Leaf, but If I recall they are under 100 miles which means road trips of any length, even with a fast DC charging connection are going to take a long time. If I do recall many Chademo DC fast chargers were limited to 50 kW. Years ago I had a Chademo adaptor for my Tesla when Superchargers were not ubiquitous and there was a convenient Chademo DC fast charger and It also cut out after 30 or 45 minutes. That was probably fine for a Leaf but not when I needed more miles.

Is there no remote way to change charging level on a Leaf? If not that would work, if the the generic Leaf EVSE has the ability to take 120 and 240 volts?

I'm not personally familiar with it, but this indicates 28A at 240V

I figure 1800W/7200W switching could utilize surplus PV, cycling ESS battery.

I am not familiar with the different ranges of the Leaf, but If I recall they are under 100 miles which means road trips of any length, even with a fast DC charging connection are going to take a long time. If I do recall many Chademo DC fast chargers were limited to 50 kW. Years ago I had a Chademo adaptor for my Tesla when Superchargers were not ubiquitous and there was a convenient Chademo DC fast charger and It also cut out after 30 or 45 minutes. That was probably fine for a Leaf but not when I needed more miles.

Older Leafs had that kind of range. My 2015 was around 110 miles. My 2019 is at least 220 miles. I've seen 270 miles, which I can't explain since the rating is 220 miles.

I can't speak for all Nissan Leafs, but both of mine were/are problem free for the most part. The only worthwhile complaint is that there is a clunk in the passenger front suspension that the dealer wouldn't correct.

The Leaf gets bad mouthed for not having active cooling of the batteries. I've checked the battery temp gauge and I've never seen anything to be concerned about. We do see temps in the 90's in the summer, but nothing like the 120's that AZ can see.

The 2018 and newer leaf is 40kwh or roughly 150 miles. The leaf Plus is 60kwh/215 miles.
I wouldn’t use it for road trips much, but when visiting family if I NEEDED to charge on the go, the localish chargers make that chademo prohibitive.
The 50kwh charge limit is a pain, but most of the EVs I shop have a similar threshold (older/simpler EVs).
Mainly looking for a daily driver for work and in town more than weekend and road trips. I drive 90 miles per day, 5 days a week and my most fuel efficient car gets 22mpg

That is better than the 205 miles on my 2019Tesla Model 3 which I have taken on Road Trips.
I’d love a Y or an AWD 3. Just not willing to commit that kind of money…..yet
Newer leafs are dropping close to 10k around here

I bought my 2015 Leaf used for just under $10k with 30K to 40K miles on it. Drove the heck out of it for a couple years until it go totaled. Got $12K from the insurance and put that down on the 2019.

Having it totaled was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, it was doing great. However, I figured out it had been in an accident and I could see that the repaint wasn't that great, plus it road like a go-cart. I wouldn't have come close to $10k on a trade-in or private sale to someone that knew what to look for.

Back