diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

I leased a Chevy Bolt premier for 35x$230/month (first month was free and including local tax) so a total of $8,050 over 3 years/36,000 miles
I got $4,500 upfront after leasing from California Clean Air act. So my costs (apart from (solar)fuel/tires/insurance) was $3,550
That means I paid $0.0968/mile over 3 years for just the car.
You are saying that was not a wise choice ?

Yes. You made a car payment and didn't even get to keep the car at the end.

Re: lease vs purchase

Anything you plan to drive until the wheels fall off, leasing is not the way to go.
I did not have enough taxes to pay to get the $7500 IRS, and the lease company deducted $6000 (or so) from the amount I owed on the lease.
For me it would have been better, even when I would have bought out at end of lease to lease first.

I have leased so far:
nissan leaf EV
2 x toyota RAV4EV
2 x Chevy Bolt.
Each time there was a better model available for less at end of Lease.
Last year I decided that at that time the Chevy Bolt EUV ticked all my requirements and I bought one.
I certainly hope to be able to drive till the wheels fall off.

The people that want an EV for the most part already have one.

If left to its own devices the EV market would have crashed on its own years ago.
EV sales are still up, year over year, but the RATE of increase is leveling off. This information what is known as "propaganda". EV sales have not continued to double year over year, thus the EV market is done, nobody is going to buy them. Propaganda is when you show only the facts that support your argument in a way that supports your argument.

All car sales are down a bit, EV sales have leveled off, but as a percentage of overall sales, not so much. Part of this is just the car market in general. Another part is the tech shift. New models of vehicles create new buzz, and there was a glut of EV inventory. Keeping in mind "time on the lot" for EV's has gone from literally hours late last year with dealers offering no discounts, and charging full retail plus fees, ... to having something on the lot you can actually test drive and maybe buy. You can't take 6 months of sales data in the auto market and conclude anything, it's ludicrous.

The big issue now is the full adoption of NACS by all the manufacturers. While CCS is not going away next week, All the 2025 model vehicles will be equiped with the NACS plug. Anyone interested in buying an EV today is going to be looking at an adapter for fast charging, and next year you will need to buy a NACS home charger for AC charging. So if you are thinking you want an EV today, and maybe another one in 3 years, you have to deal with changing out chargers or futzing with adapters.

The Tesla station to CCS vehicle adaptors are just now becoming available. Further, it will take some time for EA/EVGO/CP to get the additional infrastructure to simplify fast charging. This creates aprehension in the markets which will dissapate as everyone figures it out.

The $7500 subsidy is only a tax credit, meaning you have to pay more than $7500 in federal tax to use the entire amount. My son just learned this the hard way with his Chevy Bolt. He wanted me to take the credit and pass the savings to him. Could have been possible since we share the same name and address. However I want to teach by example and give him an education on taxes. The bad taste will stay with him for a lifetime.
I think the tax credit can now be transferred to the dealer in order to reduce the sticker price .... not sure of the details of that .....gotta do some research.

I was thinking about looking for one of the high end Bolt premier EUV's that had a buy back and see if the dealer could use the tax credit that way.

The only problem is as always battery.
These trucks get a lot of mileage on them, batteries will be exhausted very quickly.

Once again we make statements with no receipts. I asked! As I stated amail trucks drive 30-50 odd miles a day, assuming the worst case 50*365 = 18250. I get it maths are a bitch.

You have such a hard-on against EV's it's stunning. You say "don't read propagana media", then you reference it. Today's battery technology (jeeze just read the battery discussions on this forum) and manufacturing techniques bear little resemblance to that of just 5 years ago. It's the same thing the greenies do when they bash cars as polluters, you just fall into the same trap. In 1970 cars created massive pollution. Today's cars produce less than 1/10th of the pollution of one built in 1970. You can't grab data for producing batteries 10 years ago and compare it to Musk's giga-factory. When you do that your argument becomes religous. Thermal runaway used to be a significant problem, improvements in chemistry and BMC's have drastically mitigated the risk. Is there still risk? Of course, it's just not as significant as it was just a few short years ago.

Sheesh. I think I'll have a cigarette while I fill up my gas tank.

I really love my electric golf cart and recently completed a lithium conversion. However I am limited to neighborhood usage due to the 12mph speed. If I bypass the speed limiter it would be a frightening experience with no front brakes and lawnmower-based suspension.

My plan to venture further is purchase a cheap, well-used 2013-2017 Leaf with depleted battery. Essentially I would takeoff the doors and drive as an overgrown golf cart. I can drive to the nearby town with a range of only 20-30 miles. My local used car dealer is watching the auto auctions for a suitable Leaf. Curious if the Nissan buyback Leaf's will be dumped at the wholesale auctions.

Otherwise anybody looking to dump a Leaf? The price will have to be attractive after factoring shipping to south Texas.
My father had a souped up cart. Topped out around 30. A little scary actually ;).

Dont forget to calculate potential to end up with required battery replacement. Buying an EV that was used for rental is a very bad idea. But go ahead, do it. The more people get burned (no pun intended) the quicker this EV lunacy will end (until we solve the 3 main issues i keep mentioning)

We don't have enough dead batteries yet. It's coming, there is a place in New Zealand (?) working on replacement battery packs for Leafs, the longest running production EV. Without much current demand most of the battery rebuild has been around recycling the viable cells from existing dead packs. You can buy these cells on Ebay today. So the Leaf has been around since 2012, that's 12 years, and we are just starting to see a nascent replacement battery industry appear. Tesla batteries are not far behind, there will be more third party folks rebuilding packs, and the prices will fall but it's still a few years away. In the mean time the battery cost/availability criticism is valid.

Prime example of how to screw-up big time. Buy an extreme number of EV's, have clueless people rent them with no instruction or methodology in place to support the renters or the vehicles.

I rented a NiroEV last year in Sacramento. The facility was in 'grab-n-go' mode. Someone arrived just before me grabbed my car. I'm sitting at the exit gate asking about my ride. Guy pulls up in the car I should have, I start chatting, "Yea I reserved an EV like this one, there is a free Volta next to the hotel I'm staying at, I wanted the Kia electric. How long have you been driving EV's"? (Deer in headlights). "Yea, they offered me a Tesla instead, but I own a NiroEV and have all the Apps and accounts for EA, EvGo, and Chargepoint, Blink sucks, but I've never charged at a Tesla station. I was trying to get an answer on that but they seem clueless here"... "Umm, I think I grabbed the wrong car, I think this is yours". (Yes, I think you did).

So Mr gate-man, how does the charging work for the return? Pretty hard to return an EV with 100%, is there a station or something I'm supposed to stop at? Hang on sir . . . (wait, wait, calls, questions) Umm, just return it with at least 70%, that will be fine.

Then, have the value of your inventory drop 25% because of a price reduction by Tesla, and have no way to repair the Tesla's as they get dinged up. Abject stupidity, total cluster-eff.

You have a great point. Driving a Tesla is unlike driving any other car, EV or ICE or otherwise. Without giving a renter a brief rundown of how to do things in a Tesla, most people would not even know how to put it in park, or turn on the wipers, or even open the door. Hertz was trying to do good, but Tesla was not the right choice for them in my opinion. If they went with a Kia or Chevy EV, which is much more like driving a regular ICE vehicle, they probably would have done better. I know that Tesla made custom software for Hertz so that the Hertz mothership can have more control over their fleet. For example, Hertz can limit the maximum speed or enable/disable keys remotely. Tesla must have gave one hell of a presentation to woo the top execs at Hertz. I'm not aware if Kia, Chevy, or any other manufacturers making custom software for Hertz. And given that many renters are unfamiliar with Teslas, accidents happen more often and Tesla repairs are notoriously expensive, even for minor things. It's not a surprise that they lost money on the deal.

Last edited:
I really love my electric golf cart and recently completed a lithium conversion. However I am limited to neighborhood usage due to the 12mph speed. If I bypass the speed limiter it would be a frightening experience with no front brakes and lawnmower-based suspension.

My plan to venture further is purchase a cheap, well-used 2013-2017 Leaf with depleted battery. Essentially I would takeoff the doors and drive as an overgrown golf cart. I can drive to the nearby town with a range of only 20-30 miles. My local used car dealer is watching the auto auctions for a suitable Leaf. Curious if the Nissan buyback Leaf's will be dumped at the wholesale auctions.

Otherwise anybody looking to dump a Leaf? The price will have to be attractive after factoring shipping to south Texas.
or see where the Hertz EV's are going to auction - if they are selling off a significant number, maybe you can pick one up for low cost, and low mileage?

@Delmar I am selling my 2012 Leaf for $4000. Battery is still decent at about 60-70 miles per charge. But I'm in Las Vegas which is about 700 miles from El Paso. South Texas is probably double that distance. I've never transported a car before. What does it generally cost to haul a car over, say 1000 miles?

EV sales are still up, year over year, but the RATE of increase is leveling off.

No.

The current EV ownership profiles are reflected in the oligarchic elite owners are that they are:

• Highly educated.
  • Highly compensated.
  • Multi-car families.
  • Low mileage requirements for the families’ second car, i.e., the EV.
  • Reside in a “temperate” climate like CA or FL. Almost 40% of EVs are in CA, and CA has 6 times as many EVs as FL.
Unlike the profile of current EV owners, the owners of internal combustion engine vehicles are dramatically different from most potential EV vehicle owners.

• Many are single-car owners,
  • Most of the potential car buyers are not as highly educated.
  • Nor as highly compensated as the elite EV owners.
  • Mandating a change to EV ownership and forced austerity, may face a rebellion from those that need affordable vehicle transportation.
EV sales are beginning to hit a speed bump.

• Hertz, previously an eager early adopter of fleet electrification, announced a big sell-off of EVs.
  • Ford’s electric vehicle business lost nearly $4.7 billion in 2023 and could lose another $5 billion in 2024; thus, Ford slashed EV production, having earlier pulled back on planned battery factories.
  • Unsold new EVs are piling up on dealer lots, spurring aggressive discounting.
  • “No one wants to buy used EVs,” as Fortune reports, leaving EV used-car values in free fall.
According to one industry executive, the situation “has the potential to destroy billions” of dollars in value for auto firms.

1 – By law, the credit in the Inflation Reduction Act is supposedly available only when purchasing vehicles built with materials sourced primarily in the U.S.

2 – However, nearly all battery materials are currently foreign-made and will remain so for ages.

3 – An Inflation Reduction Act exception allowing credit for leased vehicles built with foreign materials. Evidently, the pen is mightier than the miner.

4 – Thus, leasing has soared to over half of all EV sales in America, as leasing is the only way to capture the federal $7,500 tax credit for most EVs.

The American government provides incentives and tax deductions to transition society to EVs, but those incentives are financial incentives for the continuation of Child Labor and Ecological Destruction “Elsewhere.” Is it ethical and moral to provide financial support to developing countries that are mining for exotic minerals and metals to build EV batteries for Americans?

The putative EV revolution is stalling for three main reasons, and not because of “dead robots” or the other road bumps in recent news. What will happen is that:

1. We’ll run out of money to subsidize the common folk,
  2. We’ll run out of copper and other foreign-sourced special metals.
  3. Car drivers will run out of patience in putting up with inconveniences.
International Energy Agency (IEA) reports that global gasoline consumption in 2023 blew past the pre-lockdown 2019 peak, even with roughly 30 million EVs on the world’s roads, up from near zero a decade ago. The primary reason may be that EVs are mainly 2nd vehicles with low mileage vs the high mileage workhorse vehicles that are internal combustion engines.

Last edited:
People have been through a lot in the last few years, a pandemic, jobs affected, then we got past the pandemic but supply chains continued to be an issue, then inflationary pressures, rising interest rates and world political unrest/tensions.
It is unsurprising that sales of an expensive new technology during such times is less that steller under the circumstances.
I considered the F-150 Lightning but between the price and the pouch cells, decided I can wait. In my own case the delay is not so much a lack of faith in the current EV technology as a desire to get the best bang for my buck and being in a position where I don't need to rush it, so won't. I bet I am not alone in this thinking.

As stated by aenyc previously, EVs are primarily purchased by the highly educated and highly compensated. As such, a highly educated person should know that inflation is high right now. Interest rates are high. Some of the hardships with the recent pandemic is still fresh on people's minds. Buying a second vehicle (EV) with a premium price tag is probably not the best idea right now. It's not surprising that EV sales are slumping right now given who the likely demographics are.

For me personally, I bought two Tesla Model 3's this year (one for me, one for the missus). Both are used 2022, one with 81k miles and the other with 72k miles. In ICE vehicles, that may seem like a lot of miles. In the case of these two specific Teslas, I calculated that the vehicles lost only about 5% and 6% battery capacity due to degradation. The price I paid for the two vehicles was the equivalent to one new 2024 Model 3. I got $4000 tax credit at the point of sale for one, and one without any tax credit. You can only claim one tax credit every 3 years. I financed both of them at 7.99% interest for 5 years. I'm very happy with the decision and knowing that EVs require very little maintenance and that I can charge up my vehicles with my off grid solar system.
tesla.png

ICE can also be expensive to repair and easily totaled. My son hit a deer with his car. Insurance totaled it because the headlight pushed back far enough to crack the fuse box. There is no disconnect so the entire wiring harness would have to be replaced. IIRC it was $2k for the wiring harness and $6k for labor.

Back