diy solar

diy solar

Offgrid All In One 240v Output Split Phase Inverter Recommendation.

Festus

Hello all! I am newly registered to the forum, even though I have been lurking on the forum for a while, watching Will's videos, watching others' videos.

With all the research, I believe I have been overloaded with information - there's a ton! Now to get to the point.

I am looking for a recommendation on an all in one (240 split phase) for powering a trailer (in pic) on a remote recreational property. Features I need:
- must be reliable as it is a remote property and may not be monitored for long periods
- must be simple for same reason
- 240 input from a generator as I have one of those
- 240 output to trailer
- remote inverter on / off swith would be a nice to have
- I will have to run heater pads in a insulated place for batteries in winter
- there is no chance of grid input, ever
- not interested in multiple units (space is limited as it is)

The trailer is designed for -45*C (-49*F) use and may be used from time to time at these temps (North Central Alberta, Canada). The trailer will be parked and not moved for years is the plan. I will be using 485w bifacial residential panels. My largest load will be the AC in the summer at 3000w to run for about 30 min in the evening to cool down before bed.

The MPP LV5048 peaked my interest, but it's discontinued. The MPP LV6048 has peaked my interest, but the new UL listed one has too much shit for my needs - would need the old version. Then I learned there may be a Sungold and Growatt units. Opinons on a unit and batteries would be welcome (not into DIY battery building).

Attachments

• 20220517_142512.jpg
    20220517_142512.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 4
Hello @Festus... I'm shocked (no pun) no one has yet to reply to your post, and look forward to seeing the experts weigh in!
Disclaimer - I'm no expert, and have yet to install anything but can say I've spent couple years researching.
Here are a few comments I can offer:
> Low frequency Inverters tend to be more reliable and can withstand heavy draws longer, and less to go wrong (assuming a good brand)
> Low frequency Inverter will probably not have as many whistles n bells etc (part of why more reliable?)
> On the other hand, I can see where a High Freq option would be good as they take less space!
> Growatt 6k48v Low Freq Inverter isn't UL listed (concerning) If they had 4k (in US) and were UL I'd probably jump on that one
> Magnum (and Victron too) Low Freq Inverters have been a long time solution for RV applications I believe (more costly)
> Victron is probably top of the list for being reliable and popular (more costly that Magnum I think)
> Don't put Sungold (rebranded as Aims also) on your list if being reliable is important
> Consider North America distribution/service and UL listed (Magnum, Victron, Schneider etc)
> Generator should be 1.5 times size of inverter, so generator can keep up with charging + feeding loads (or use smaller charger?)
> Consider an inverter that has generator auto start feature?
> You mention 240V input / output, but I'm guessing you actually mean split phase, which I think is different than pure 240v
> Do yourself a BIG favor and keep things at 48V, or your amperage will be too much
> Consider split phase means you have 2 legs, for ex 2KW/2KW. And, most SP systems actually limit each leg to a 2kw draw (or 16A ea leg).
> Consider hooking up some type of meter reading so you can keep an eye on your balance between the 2 legs.

Hope this helps and not hurts your process! It's just what I've been chewing on as I try to also sort things out...

Back