diy solar

diy solar

Ohm test a battery?

Kyle_E

Have an open support ticket with Signature Solar on an EG4 server rack 24V battery. Moved on to level 2 tech. He is asking "We would like to do an Ohms test on the battery itself while it is disconnected completely from the inverter." The most I have ever done is check a coil pack or three on motorcycles, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

Could some kind person walk me through how to do that/check my work?

I disconnected the battery cables and the 2 communication cables.

I have the black lead in the Com port I have the red lead in the V / Ohm port on the multimeter.
If I put the positive lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative to negative. I get OL on the screen, no matter what setting on the multimeter I use from 600 up to 6million Ohm. If I set it to do a continuity test, I don't even get a beep (touching the leads together I do)

Have an open support ticket with Signature Solar on an EG4 server rack 24V battery. Moved on to level 2 tech. He is asking "We would like to do an Ohms test on the battery itself while it is disconnected completely from the inverter." The most I have ever done is check a coil pack or three on motorcycles, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

Could some kind person walk me through how to do that/check my work?

I disconnected the battery cables and the 2 communication cables.

I have the black lead in the Com port I have the red lead in the V / Ohm port on the multimeter.
If I put the positive lead to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative to negative. I get OL on the screen, no matter what setting on the multimeter I use from 600 up to 6million Ohm. If I set it to do a continuity test, I don't even get a beep (touching the leads together I do)

It's a battery. You can't test its resistance with a ~1.5V ohmmeter. Let them know what you did and ask them for a step-by-step method.

@SignatureSolarJames
@BenFromSignatureSolar

I hope your meter is not damage, you need specialized meter to perform the test.
You should give the name of that tech to @BenFromSignatureSolar so he can teach his customer service better, this is such a joke of customer service at SS.
I wonder what kind of people SS hire for customer service.

Last edited:
It's a battery. You can't test its resistance with a ~1.5V ohmmeter. Let them know what you did and ask them for a step-by-step method.
Thank you! I tried calling tech support but 1.5 hours and still waiting on a return call (could be closed for the holiday but got the email today so assumed open).

You're not doing anything wrong, your meter is responding exactly as it should! An "ohms test" between the terminals of a battery is nonsensical. If that is what they are asking for, the tech has no idea what he/she is doing.
That line is a direct cut and paste from the email. There is no missing context in the previous or next lines. I googled the heck out of it and couldn't come up with anything! Good to know it was not me. Appreciate it!

I hope your meter is not damage, you need specialized meter to perform the test.
You should give the name of that tech to @BenFromSignatureSolar so he can teach his customer service better, this is such a joke of customer service at SS.
I wonder what kind of people SS hire for customer service.
The tech did call me the wrong name in the email, so chance he was talking with someone else and got us confused? Sure it will all work out in the end. If nothing else it's a 20 hour drive away hah!

You're not doing anything wrong, your meter is responding exactly as it should! An "ohms test" between the terminals of a battery is nonsensical. If that is what they are asking for, the tech has no idea what he/she is doing.
Follow up email wants me to do exactly that. + to + and - to - on the battery, then swap them.

Follow up email wants me to do exactly that. + to + and - to - on the battery, then swap them.
Oh man!
You should post that email here so Ben and other people from SS can see what kind of customer support they have at SS.
I was hoping that SS customer service is getting better after so many threads here about SS customer service, but that is not to the case here.
Poor training by SS!
BTW, if your meter is damaged, SS should buy you a new one!
@BenFromSignatureSolar ????

Oh man!
You should post that email here so Ben and other people from SS can see what kind of customer support they have at SS.
I was hoping that SS customer service is getting better after so many threads here about SS customer service, but that is not to the case here.
Poor training by SS!
BTW, if your meter is damaged, SS should buy you a new one!
@BenFromSignatureSolar ????

Just gotta roll with it. Need a battery replaced under warranty guess these are the things you have to do. Hopefully this will be the last step and we can get a new battery on the way or whatever.

"We will do the exact same thing on the battery terminals.
Remove any cables connected to the battery terminals.
Make sure that the battery is powered on.
Place the positive lead on +
Place the negative lead on -
Please record your meter reading with a photo. "

Back