diy solar

diy solar

OK, DC generator versus AC generator, what's everyone's opinoin

dbarnrd67

OK, I currently have a Schneider 6848 xw, great inverter and currently have a Kohler 14RCA as a backup genny that when inverter senses the batteries are low it kicks on the genset charges them and then kicks off. Also, have an 8750 Harbor Freight Inverter genset (gas) as a backup to that one if it goes bad or needs repairs. Now is my question. I like to have a fallback and know of the EG4 chargeverter, however it is on backorder and no real time as to when it is available. I want a way to charge if the charger in my inverter ever goes or I have issues with the traditional AC generators. Therefore, what are everyone's opinion on the 7500w DC gensets that are used in Telcom towers. They have built in voltage sensing that lets it monitor the batteries and turns itself on and off with charge points. Battery bank is Lifepo4, approx 1,000 ah, and in 48v config. Just wanting someone to either confirm it would be a viable solution in lew of the chargeverter or to talk me out of it. Open to just opinions and just open dialog on it. I have no preference one way or another but with the chargeverter being on back order for at least a month or two wanting to get this decided. Thanks and looking forward to comments.

A lot of the telecom systems are positive grounded.
I'm not sure if the generator is. Or if it's floating and just works for any system design.
Something to look into.
I would still recommend the chargeverter instead of the DC generator.
You already have 2 AC generators.

A lot of the telecom systems are positive grounded.
I'm not sure if the generator is. Or if it's floating and just works for any system design.
Something to look into.
I would still recommend the chargeverter instead of the DC generator.
You already have 2 AC generators.
Appreciate the feedback. I guess the reason I was thinking the DC generator was it was a separate line of charge that worked independently. I have the 2 different ac gensets, so redundant backup there and I have a spare growatt 6500 watt inverter as a spare standby. But the point of contention that I fear the most is with the chargers built into the inverter if that piece ever goes out, then what. So need to charge batteries while still being able to have power to limp by. I like the concept of the Chargeverter but they are all out of stock and no real ship date. Being off grid I want to be able to automate some of this so it works if I were not here, say went into town or something like that. -20 tonight and it gets me thinking of what to prepare for since I am completely off grid. But thanks I do believe the Chargeverter would be the best way to go, can be installed near the battery bank, uses standard wire with nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm thinking Telcom quality equipment should be a lot better than the equipment sold to retail.
That was my thought as well. I have a chance to get a 7500w 48v nomimal battery dc genset for $700 with 320 hour on it. Or do I just hold my breath and hope winter treats me well and I can catch a chargeverter in stock as soon as they become available. My luck, unfortunately, never works that way.

That was my thought as well. I have a chance to get a 7500w 48v nomimal battery dc genset for $700 with 320 hour on it. Or do I just hold my breath and hope winter treats me well and I can catch a chargeverter in stock as soon as they become available
My approach to these types of questions: "should I do A or should I do B" = DO BOTH.
A 7500W DC genset for $700 (assuming it was well taken care of) seems like a good option, immediate solution, you can sell it later if you wish.
Order the Chargeverter too, and don't wonder how long it will take to get, you have the DC generator in case of a problem.

If money is tight, plan to re-sell the DC generator once the chargeverter arrives, if not, keep both.

Back