diy solar

diy solar

AC or DC generator?

Here is how my inverter generator charges my batteries;

First - the motor runs the permanent magnet radial flux generator producing a high voltage 3 phase AC about 200-350v depending on RPM.

Second - its rectified to DC and sent to the Inverter.

Third - its converter to 120v 60Hz AC and sent to my charger

Fourth - the AC is converted back to DC to charge my batteries with a 75amp switching power supply.

Fith - my house inverter converts the DC back to AC

Sixth - varies depending on the device but likely more conversion going on. Example; mini split converts the AC to DC and then back to AC to run the compressor

Seems like their is to many middle men in the picture. I think total efficiency from my gasoline is right around 3-6% on a good day. Especially considering the 60-70% loss just with the motor alone right at the start.

So from gas to cold air it is - AC to DC to AC to DC to AC to DC to AC

AC is here for the forseeable future, and the resitance to change from 120/240 in the US means it will likely be around for the rest of yours and my lifetimes
There’s countries using DC again?!!

And it’s not ‘resistance’ to changing from split phase to 230VAC explicitly, either. There’s 120 years+ of device history and products to consider if there is an actual move to go euro. People don’t like the idea of waking up one morning and having virtually everything they use go obsolete.
who says you can't have both AC and DC?
And every led light is DC

And every led light is DC
I mean AC and DC generators. Why not have both in one unit? I guess if we are being honest, does a DC generator even exist? I mean something that rotates to make power that is truely DC and not just regulated/rectified AC?

Maybe, it's the rest of the world who is resisting change.
120v fault to ground is definitely safer than 230v.

Maybe, it's the rest of the world who is resisting change.
120v fault to ground is definitely safer than 230v.
I'm thinking the intent of what I was saying was lost. lol.

I wasn't saying we should change, or I want it to change. My point was quite literally that we're so entrenched in 120/240 split phase, that the likelyhood of going to something else en masse is *very* low relative to the likelyhood of us moving from 12v, to 24v, to 48v, to something else.

This is quite literally the "resistance" I was referencing in my post. It doesn't matter the reason for *why* we want to resist the change, just that we do. I think @12VoltInstalls just misunderstood the point I was making.

Until there's a financial reason nothing changes!
It's usually driven by corporations. With the internet some things slip out before big money buys it and sells to the masses.

thank you all for your input. certainly lots to consider. i think i have decided to stay with an AC genny for the obvious solution to a failed inverter, i can still power my house and cannot with just battery. so, decision made. i shall choose the kohler 12res off grid genny.

This would be the definition of "resisting" that I used.. no?
“Resistance” as a term without context is sortof understood dichotomously whereas with context it may yield an alternate inference.
And I misunderstood.

If you have a hybrid car, it can deliver about 3.6kW of high voltage that you can step down to recharge batteries. Hybrid cars make the best DC generators. Easy to refill the gas. Don't have to worry about weekly tests. Don't have to worry about storing gas and it going bad.

They're super quiet too!

I power a 6 kVA UPS with my hybrid (which runs 4 battery chargers, @ 200a total output), just charged up the 22 KWh of LFP today on my RV system (since it was cloudy and poor solar).. The car is just parked right here in the shop and you don't even notice it starting and shutting off out there, took about 4 hours to charge back up to 100%, hardly burned any gas. Best part about it, it doesn't even put any miles on the car!

Last edited:
There is a more potential for efficiency making rectified and regulated DC. Utilizing AC directly from the windings of an alternator (erroneously called a "generator" in the consumer market) required a constant RPM to maintain the frequency, regardless of load. Making DC you can bring RPM, and thus noise and fuel consumption, down to only what's needed to drive the alternator at the desired amperage output.

There are some military surplus DC generators out there that are very robust and fuel efficient. I have one that puts out 100 amps of 28v dc. Very well built. Starts with 1 pull, but you literally have to wrap the rope around the crankshaft each time to start.

If you dont need 100amps it can be idled down and it sounds like a VW beetle. Horizontally opposed 4 cylinder...

Requires the user to pay attention and fine tune voltage. Probably could rig up some sort of charge controller to make it "smart".
20230729_193826.jpg

Attachments

• 20230729_193909.jpg
    20230729_193909.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230729_193845.jpg
    20230729_193845.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230729_194009.jpg
    20230729_194009.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 4
ok. so back for one final question. upon speaking with the sales rep he suggested i choose the generac 7163 off grid genny instead. his reasons are that the kohler requires a certified kohler technician be present to do the initial startup for the warranty to be valid, the generac only requires a licensed electrician to sign off on the installation. any thoughts?

Back