diy solar

diy solar

Old XW6048 system, change from AGM to Lithiums - I have a minor quirk!

Philip53

10.4kw DIY Home Solar Sprinter Van DIY Victron
I have an older XW6048 inverter, and recently changed out my 11 year old Concorde 256ah AGM's to 2 Trophy 230ah lithiums. It all works fine, except for one little quirk - the inverter grid sell display and transformer will not turn off with the end of solar charging each day. I don't like the transformer, etc. to be 'powered up' all of those non sun hours, and would like it to shut down like it did every previous day with the AGM's. I found I can manually kill the grid support function by simply disabling it on the SCP, and then immediately enabling it. It remains off, and does not activate until the sun comes up the next morning.

@Solar Guppy suggested that since the lithiums don't drop their voltage like AGM's do when solar charging is removed, the small voltage drop, will not trigger the grid support 'function' to turn off, thus leaving the transformer & display on overnight. As he also suggested, raising the GSV setting to a higher setting may allow this to work as it did with the AGM's. I did try the XW advanced grid support setting of 64 volts once, and it did disable the transformer & inverter display overnight, but it also triggered a high voltage alarm on one of the Trophy batteries.

Since my grid seldom goes down, and I would rather not have my batteries continuously sitting at a high SOC, I have my GSV currently set to maintain 80-90%. Does anyone have an idea about any other way to have my inverter shut down for the night, without having to use a very high GSV set point? I do it manually every night now, but sure would like it to do it automatically.

Thanks!

A lot of the time blocks that now exist in the XW Pro weren't added until later firmware, and without personal experience on the earlier XWs I can presume that those time block settings are missing from those. For example, it is possible to set a time Export Block in XW Pro which I'd guess you don't have.

Maybe you can exploit the fact that XW architecture cannot run the charger and Grid Support at the same time. Is the charger configurable to a time block on the XW6048? If it is, it might be possible to set up a charging block with very limited charging amps, just to switch the mode from Grid Support to Pass-Through. You might also be able to do it by raising the Recharge Voltage setpoint to trigger the charger. There is probable a 0.5V hysteresis between the Recharge Voltage and the Grid Support Voltage, so maybe the Recharge Voltage plus 0.5V can be used to trigger your Grid Support mode cut-off.

A lot of the time blocks that now exist in the XW Pro weren't added until later firmware, and without personal experience on the earlier XWs I can presume that those time block settings are missing from those. For example, it is possible to set a time Export Block in XW Pro which I'd guess you don't have.

Maybe you can exploit the fact that XW architecture cannot run the charger and Grid Support at the same time. Is the charger configurable to a time block on the XW6048? If it is, it might be possible to set up a charging block with very limited charging amps, just to switch the mode from Grid Support to Pass-Through. You might also be able to do it by raising the Recharge Voltage setpoint to trigger the charger. There is probable a 0.5V hysteresis between the Recharge Voltage and the Grid Support Voltage, so maybe the Recharge Voltage plus 0.5V can be used to trigger your Grid Support mode cut-off.
I have the older XW+ Models too.
I can set a sell time/schedule, although I don't have any specific schedule set.
I have old Absolyte batteries that are not much use. Replacements on the way, that's why the Grid Support Voltage is so low, to force the inverters to sell as much as possible.
1694610432837.png

Back