diy solar

diy solar

On/Off/Charger Only switch on MultiPlus-II

johnm1

MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2 x 120V switch setting in a camper/rv ...

If the "On/Off/Charger Only switch" is set to "ON", which is inverting and charging, and we're not plugged into "shore" power (no incoming AC power), will the Multiplus try to charge the batteries using the batteries? Or, is it smart enough to know that there is no incoming AC power so it won't try to charge the batteries?

MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2 x 120V switch setting in a camper/rv ...

If the "On/Off/Charger Only switch" is set to "ON", which is inverting and charging, and we're not plugged into "shore" power (no incoming AC power), will the Multiplus try to charge the batteries using the batteries? Or, is it smart enough to know that there is no incoming AC power so it won't try to charge the batteries?
Not sure I follow. The batteries cannot charge themselves.

I don't know if the Multiplus could but I do know the IP22 charger could and can.

Example ... if the Multi is in the ON position (charging and inverting), unplugged from shore power and the IP22 is plugged in and turned ON, the IP22 will be charging the batteries using the batteries.

So, that's my question, will the Multi use the batteries to try to charge the same batteries if charging is enabled and there is no shore power?

the multiplus will not charge with out a ac input. your charger is doing that because you have it plugged in to you system powered by your inverter somehow

Yeah if you have your batteries running your inverter trying to charge “themselves”, somethings not wired/configured properly.

The IP22 is a 120v to 12v charger, correct? Where is it getting the 120v power?
yes it is 120v charger. If I had it plugged into the camper the Multi would be suppling the 120v to the outlet so, the batteries would be trying to charge themselves. It'd be stupid to do this, so I won't, but it is possible.

I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison but I'm trying to learn so I can (hopefully) minimize mistakes while camping.

The MP will only charge from 120v when on or on Charger only. Charger only just turns off the inverter/ac outs. There's also an inverter only option using the CerboGX. Which disables charge.

These are smart inverters so take as much power as it can and passes 120v through to the outlets and then uses the rest to charge the batteries when set to on.

Charger only is a great feature if putting in storage so you keep batteries on but have all 120v outlets off. Otherwise leave it on all the time.

Back