diy solar

diy solar

One or two inverters for multiple strings?

pventhusiast

Hi,
I have been doing a lot of research. Contacting companies for quotes, watching youtube videos, looking through data sheets, trying to find DIY resources, etc. This forum has been a very valuable resource for me.
I am planning to install approx 40-45 panels. The estimates are around 16-18 kW. Specifically looking at the "Canadian Solar 400W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel (Black) | CS6R-400MS-HL" panels. These will be facing Southeast, so I'm not expecting full production.
I have decided that the benefit of microinverters or optimizers is not worth the additional cost for me. I really like the option of Fronius inverters with rapid shutdown modules. I get some shade in the area where the bottom row of panels will be installed during the early morning hours. I want to benefit from the shading software as much as possible.
Fronius inverters only come with two MPPTs. I am assuming that if I connect all the panels to only two MPPTs that I might not see the greatest benefit of the shading software. I am thinking that I could split the panels into three strings. Will the inverter shading software be more efficient if I split the panels into three strings across two inverters? Or, do panel bypass diodes and Fronius inverters work well enough with shade compensation that I won't see a significant enough benefit to make it worth having two inverters?

I am a noob. But I think at 40-45 panels of 400w each you'll see much more than 16-18kW. Unless you mean 16-18kW per hour?

I also reached out to a Fronius distributor to see if they would help out with my question. I’m assuming that keeping the strings separate would be the best thing. But I want to be sure before spending that much money on the inverters. Does anyone have multiple inverters? Any pitfalls to watch out for? Does it complicate things when wiring into the grid-tie?

Back