diy solar

diy solar

open air bath (lotemburo)

Well, kinda...

0817A301.jpg

100 gallon Rubbermaid stock trough, 100' of black drip tubing behind (free) glass in frame, 12-24V DC pumps for radiant heat systems from Amazon, 20W solar panel. Margarita in wine glass optional.

Passive mode only - April through October at 37 deg. North.

Yours is nicer.

Last edited:
Well, kinda...

View attachment 153760

100 gallon Rubbermaid stock trough, 100' of black drip tubing behind (free) glass in frame, 12-24V DC pumps for radiant heat systems from Amazon, 20W solar panel. Margarita in wine glass optional.

Passive mode only - April through October at 37 deg. North.

Yours is nicer.
if it works, its works!

Mine was an old milk chiller tank from one of the local farms I repurposed. it had a chiller unit that hung into the tank on the back wall away from the drain. i removed that punched holes in the side for the water heater and originally used an older version of the heater i now have till it burned up. it was about 30 years old (heater) that i got for free. When it died i searched for 4 months until i discovered the company that originally sold the water heater sold a new and upgraded version.

i just poured a 4" pad and sat the tank on top, and then surrounded it with lava rocks that i cemented into place to make it look less obtrusive. being that it was a milk tank originally it has 3" of foam insulation in the walls and being food grade stainless, rust is not an issue.

eventually i want to build a large water tank that holds hot water heated with excess power in the summer to keep the underside of the house above freezing + preheat water with for my on demand water heater. ball bearings within ball bearings... too many projects and not enough time.

Interesting setup.

Is that a bear pantry behind it?

You live in Japan right?
bear pantry? no are you talking about my daughters super secret treehouse fort? :) yes I live in Japan the photos there are at my vacation home, soon to be retirement house when i retire. my goal is to make it so i pay nothing more than property tax, some food, and vehicle related expenses when i retire. That and it makes a great bug out shelter far enough from the major cities that if SHTF i have a house fully powered without the grid, vegetable gardens, and a well.

bear pantry? no are you talking about my daughters super secret treehouse fort? :) yes I live in Japan the photos there are at my vacation home, soon to be retirement house when i retire. my goal is to make it so i pay nothing more than property tax, some food, and vehicle related expenses when i retire. That and it makes a great bug out shelter far enough from the major cities that if SHTF i have a house fully powered without the grid, vegetable gardens, and a well.
Yea some places around here you have to put your food up in a high locked place or bears, Mountain lions, etc will help themselves to it.

I wasn’t sure how prevalent bears were in Japan.

So that’s your daughters hide out.
Very cool.

Everyone should have a place like that.

"too many projects and not enough time."

You got that right. Dinking around with fun stuff like this happens only AFTER the necessary day-to-day of living off grid...

Since I took that image I built up another collector and run them in parallel. Gets things up to temp faster. In full sun, on a 60 - 70 degree day, the water is 7 deg. F. warmer coming off the panel than going in. The tempered glass in aluminum frame is from commercial passive collectors folks throw away down here in Arizona (where my "urban" home is) when they freeze and develop leaks.

It would be nice to have a more permanent install such as you have, but we can get several feet of snow in winter so I tear things down and put them under cover when the white stuff is around. That's why there are wheels on the collector.

Redneck rules.

"too many projects and not enough time."

You got that right. Dinking around with fun stuff like this happens only AFTER the necessary day-to-day of living off grid...

Since I took that image I built up another collector and run them in parallel. Gets things up to temp faster. In full sun, on a 60 - 70 degree day, the water is 7 deg. F. warmer coming off the panel than going in. The tempered glass in aluminum frame is from commercial passive collectors folks throw away down here in Arizona (where my "urban" home is) when they freeze and develop leaks.

It would be nice to have a more permanent install such as you have, but we can get several feet of snow in winter so I tear things down and put them under cover when the white stuff is around. That's why there are wheels on the collector.

Redneck rules.
good luck, maybe some extra blue xps will help your fight against freezing. i have to drain everything every time i leave to prevent damage, but that a small price to pay to fire it up mid winter when the snow is coming down and i can sit and stare at Fuji with a beer in hand while sitting in the tub.

Back