diy solar

diy solar

Off grid incinerating toilets. Who uses one?

SoakedUp

Solar Enthusiast
Been looking at alternatives to septic and compost for my off grid spot. I currently use a bucket and coco coir as the covering in a composting bag. I’m not full time at the location so I take the bag with me and drop it off in a local dumpster on my way home. I have a urinal set up to drain into the sandy ground a ways off from the cabin. It works pretty good for myself if my stay is less than a week or if I don’t have company (especially the female kind).

I stumbled upon this solution and it looks really cool.

Although it’s quite expensive (~$5k). There are 2 models. Fully electric which I was excited for but it requires 240v 10a circuit. I don’t have 240v at my cabin so I would have to opt for the gas model which can connect to a regular 20lb bbq propane tank. One 20lb tank is good for over 120 burns which would last me a couple years. The ash compartment only needs to be emptied every 80-100 burns. Again, I could go a couple years before emptying. It really looks to solve the #2 problem in the easiest and most sanitary way.

Anyone have any experience with an incinerating toilet?

I do not but the YouTube Channel “Ambition Strikes” installed one (the electric one) run in on their system and like it.

May want to look for their talking about it.
I’ve been following them for a while. I don’t think they have had it very long.

We own an electric one (Incinolet brand) and use it in a little shed building my wife uses for crafts and such, that can't easily connect to septic (not a "primary" building). It works great, but does use a fair amount of electricity to incinerate the waste. The propane version should use almost none, though.

You MUST use the little paper filters, even for "#1", but it easily deals with both types of waste. Except for needing to put in the paper filter before each use, it's very much like a regular toilet except that you need to depress the flush pedal AND then press a button to start tue burning process. Don't try to "save flushes", as it gets, well, nasty. You can use it again while it's burning, at least with the electric version (don't know about the propane type). A kid might have trouble at first, until they're shown how to use it, but it's not difficult. Only one visitor has ever had a problem, but she's, well, let's just say "not mechanically inclined" and couldn't grasp putting the paper filter in first.

I think a couple of people could go 2-4 weeks without emptying the ash container, and there is surprisingly little ash produced. The exhaust is barely even warm, and you can use PVC (4-inch) for that. The only problem we've ever had was during periods when the building wasn't used for several days and the temps were in teens-single digits outside. The fan froze up, which caused the unit to smoke until it thawed. But keep in mind, this is a poorly insulated, occasional use building that's in the 40's in the bathroom area at those times.

If I had another building that could not easily connect to septic I would not hesitate to purchase another of these. They're sanitary, and you just need to also have available a way of dealing with hand washing. They make small sinks that have a water tank and grey water tank, which is what we use in that building. It's not a "luxury bathroom" setup, but it's certainly serviceable, and the AmbitionStrikes folks depict it all accurately in their videos from what I've seen.

Following this thread.

Looking at properties which may be off grid entirely, or not have a septic system. An incinerating toilet is a lot less expensive than a septic system.

Bio digesting or composting toilets are another option. Under a thousand dollars too.

Following.
Our septic was 9k. Would have loved to do an alternative system but didn’t want to fight the county

Might just stick with a composting one of the boondock travels

$5K,?? I'd use the 7 gal. bucket/potty seat setup and gladly deal with transfer issues. Don't "regular" people go once a day and usually in the morning? If this was going to be your regular use toilet it might make a little more sense.
While my use isn’t high right now on this property, I’m planing on shipping the container that the incinerating toilet will go in to another state in the future. I’m not 100% sure if septic will be available at the new location so the incinerator toilet is sounding like a good solution to a present and future problem. Even if a bit costly.

Incinerating toilets are used in marine applications too. I believe they're allowed to discharge grey water into international waters, but not black water. An incinerating toilet takes care of that problem.

We own an electric one (Incinolet brand) and use it in a little shed building my wife uses for crafts and such, that can't easily connect to septic (not a "primary" building). It works great, but does use a fair amount of electricity to incinerate the waste. The propane version should use almost none, though.

You MUST use the little paper filters, even for "#1", but it easily deals with both types of waste. Except for needing to put in the paper filter before each use, it's very much like a regular toilet except that you need to depress the flush pedal AND then press a button to start tue burning process. Don't try to "save flushes", as it gets, well, nasty. You can use it again while it's burning, at least with the electric version (don't know about the propane type). A kid might have trouble at first, until they're shown how to use it, but it's not difficult. Only one visitor has ever had a problem, but she's, well, let's just say "not mechanically inclined" and couldn't grasp putting the paper filter in first.

I think a couple of people could go 2-4 weeks without emptying the ash container, and there is surprisingly little ash produced. The exhaust is barely even warm, and you can use PVC (4-inch) for that. The only problem we've ever had was during periods when the building wasn't used for several days and the temps were in teens-single digits outside. The fan froze up, which caused the unit to smoke until it thawed. But keep in mind, this is a poorly insulated, occasional use building that's in the 40's in the bathroom area at those times.

If I had another building that could not easily connect to septic I would not hesitate to purchase another of these. They're sanitary, and you just need to also have available a way of dealing with hand washing. They make small sinks that have a water tank and grey water tank, which is what we use in that building. It's not a "luxury bathroom" setup, but it's certainly serviceable, and the AmbitionStrikes folks depict it all accurately in their videos from what I've seen.

How long is the burn process? Our no grid cabin has an outhouse. Almost time to dig a new hole and we are considering a propane toilet.

Where does the urine go?
Evaporated and out the exhaust, mostly. Residuals are burned with the poo.

I watched a YT video about using an electric incinerating toilet on an English narrowboat. The folks who owned the boat started using a separate compost toilet for urine because while the incinerating toilet would handle it without issue, they had limited power available, and evaporating off the urine more than doubled power consumption.

Evaporated and out the exhaust, mostly. Residuals are burned with the poo.

I watched a YT video about using an electric incinerating toilet on an English narrowboat. The folks who owned the boat started using a separate compost toilet for urine because while the incinerating toilet would handle it without issue, they had limited power available, and evaporating off the urine more than doubled power consumption.
That's gotta smell pretty bad, or does it?

Kinda wondering why the Chinese haven’t copied and ran with these as they are so costly and potentially profitable.

How long is the burn process? Our no grid cabin has an outhouse. Almost time to dig a new hole and we are considering a propane toilet.
Seems to be about 30-40 minutes total, but it's hard to say how long it's actually burning, as the fan seems to run quite a while to make sure things are cool. You can use it even while it's burning (just don't flush while sitting on the thing!). If just urine and the paper filter, smoke is gone in about 5 minutes. If solids, about 15 minutes of smoke (very little) but it continues to run for quite some time after smoke gone. Smells like someone burning newspaper and not too strong. The heating element seems to run for about 20 minutes or so, but I haven't really timed it. I wouldn't use the electric version in an off grid situation in winter, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the propane variety.

That's gotta smell pretty bad, or does it?
Urine with paper filter smells faintly like some burning a newspaper or perhaps a campfire, and not at all strong.
Lasts perhaps 5 minutes. No urine smell at all. Solids take longer, but just a bit more of a campfire smell. Never smelled anything that smells like waste burning. For a situation where connection to septic is impossible or cost prohibitive, they're a good solution. Much better than compost toilet or outhouse, in my view. Just not quite as nice/easy as the conventional, water flush toilet.

Urine with paper filter smells faintly like some burning a newspaper or perhaps a campfire, and not at all strong.
Lasts perhaps 5 minutes. No urine smell at all. Solids take longer, but just a bit more of a campfire smell. Never smelled anything that smells like waste burning. For a situation where connection to septic is impossible or cost prohibitive, they're a good solution. Much better than compost toilet or outhouse, in my view. Just not quite as nice/easy as the conventional, water flush toilet.
Thanks for the clarification. So no french fry smell like from veggideisel? :)

Back