diy solar

Original 2002 Electric Toyota RAV4

Andrewr05

[Replicant 42069]
This came up for sale near me-

Thoughts?
How easy would a Lithium swap be?
😂🤣

Someone talk me out of what would be a really bad financial decision.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-101528.png
    Screenshot_20240205-101528.png
    522.5 KB · Views: 4
If Go with purchase price then add in your desired upgrades estimates. What is you price? Do you have facilities and abilities if DIY. Researched it? Then realize the age of vehicle. I liked the early rav4 but some ppl did not. If you invest to much into it will never get a return unless someone appreciates if for future sale.
Some ppl want warranty. Some ppl want more modern features. Like everything it is depends on you…. No one can tell you what you have to get or need. That is on you. 😀🤣
Replacement Battery packs are high price…. You will get less then 100mile per charge if read it right with current battery , “drove 25 miles had 75% battery left. “‘

I looked at buying a nissan leaf for ~$1500-$2000 with bad battery ….. buying the extra parts get battery to comm with car was extra and battery was expensive. When done what would I have ….plus the labor invested. If you like challenges then it might be a go if have Tools and equipment - place to do it.

I came to conclusion used chevy bolt was cheaper.

That's a neat write-up, thanks for that.

I'm pretty handy, but I have no actual desire (or monetary ability) to take on a basket case vehicle that needs a whole bunch of repairs.

Butttt... it seems in decent shape.

Reactions: D71
That's a neat write-up, thanks for that.

I'm pretty handy, but I have no actual desire (or monetary ability) to take on a basket case vehicle that needs a whole bunch of repairs.

Butttt... it seems in decent shape.
I went back and it is “20 miles driven with 75% left on battery”. 😀🤣

“‘’’Like many “compliance cars” of the time, the RAV4 EV was a derivation of an existing ICE-powered platform and hence was saddled with a structure that wasn’t optimized for an electric drivetrain or battery placement. That meant a smaller, and less-efficient battery than on a modern EV and hence only a double-digit range. There’s also no front trunk as the RAV4 EV uses that space for its controller and other related electrical components.
The battery is a 95Ah Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) pack comprised of 24 12-volt cells for a total of 27kWh of storage. By comparison, a modern Tesla Model Y uses a 75 kWh battery pack. Mounted under the floor, the battery powers an AC 3-phase traction motor which produces a modest 67 horsepower and drives the front wheels through an inline differential. There is no traditional transmission employed in the EV as forward and reverse are handled via motor direction. Both plug-in and regenerative recharging are possible on the car.”’’’

That article indicates it is ~$12,000 and is rare with only 2500 built. So you will be out of luck for replacement parts . Replacement parts will be fortune or unobtainium. I know very little about those RAV4 EV vehicles seen one in dealership ~22 years ago.

Btw back in that era Toyota sourced parts from lot of places …. Example 2003 Toyota Corolla rear drum had about 5-7 sources… had to take vin number to dealer to get the correct replacement for rear drum. Pita. Lot of parts were like that and the local parts like advance o reily or whatever would not provide proper replacement part. They were unaware of all the sources for rear drums. Again Pita and part was 3x over alternative sources and had to be ordered - waited on. Toyota was like most auto makers sourcing stuff.

When it comes to sensors and such best to buy from actual dealer vs auto zone advance whatever. Hyundai replacements part other then dealers are not always within specs. Crank sensors and such. Lot of other auto makers too. Working on vehicles was made lot more difficult because of the sourced parts.

I don't know anything about this vehicle, but I'm generally not concerned about high mileage on a vehicle .... but am concerned about vehicles that are too old.

Most of the vehicles I've gotten rid of were because of underbody rust ...... One of them developed a soft spot in the floor almost to the point I could stick my foot down to stop like Fred Flintstone.
Brake lines start to rust and separate. Rubber parts in the suspension degrade.

I wouldn't spend that much on a vehicle that old unless it was from Florida, Arizona, or Southern California .... not costal.

I don't know anything about this vehicle, but I'm generally not concerned about high mileage on a vehicle .... but am concerned about vehicles that are too old.

Most of the vehicles I've gotten rid of were because of underbody rust ...... One of them developed a soft spot in the floor almost to the point I could stick my foot down to stop like Fred Flintstone.
Brake lines start to rust and separate. Rubber parts in the suspension degrade.

I wouldn't spend that much on a vehicle that old unless it was from Florida, Arizona, or Southern California .... not costal.

Be careful with Fl. Could have been flooded.

I drove one of those for ten years. Great car. Sold it to a Temecula, CA minor league baseball team. They fully wrapped it in their logo. They use it in parades and to transport pitchers to the field from the bullpen.

Back