diy solar

diy solar

Overkill BMS blue tooth app

Loadtoad

I have been using the 120 amp Overkill bms for about a year now on a 12v 280 amp hr DIY battery with prismatic cells. No problems in the year I have been using it. I'm using the Android version. I have both the Chinese and the new overkill versions. For some reason, the blue tooth app in both versions will not connect when I am charging or discharging from my battery. I can connect when I have charging or discharging turned off. Once connected and I turn on charging or discharging the reading on the app such as cell voltages, amps, or even trying to use any of the menu options slows down to the point they are not useful. Menu choices will not open or the amps in or out reading take up to 60 seconds if at all to register a change. I have the latest versions of firmware. Have any of you had any similar problems? Any idea what's going on?

Are you using the Xiaoxiang app? That's what I use (on an Android, and an iPad, and my iPhone) and it works on all 6 of my OverKill 120a 4s BMSs...

This thread lists other apps you can try (OverKill is same as a JBD BMS):

I also can use Smart BMS Utility on my Mac and it works fine too...

I am using (8) Overkill 48V 16s 100A BMSs and using the Overkill app. Android -> Samsung S20. I can connect to all of them while charging/discharging no issues. The green sliders toggle love for me as well when I hit a limit like a cell max volt when full charged.

To tell the truth, I don't think the issue is the app, I think something has happened to the BMS, possibly the Bluetooth dongle.

To tell the truth, I don't think the issue is the app, I think something has happened to the BMS, possibly the Bluetooth dongle.

Unplug and replug in the dongle. If the blue light blinks on once and then turns off it should be functional. Also just checking that your not trying to connect the Bluetooth through the phones settings? You have to open the app and select the device.

Bluetooth not working. I did all the obvious powering off cell and BMS Checking cell settings. BMS connected once and then would not connect again.

BMS Bluetooth momentarily lights up as needed when powered up.

frustrated that Overkill has no support, I wrote to them as suggested.

Any ideas.

The blue light on the dongle will not stay lit. It blinks when plugged in, then turns off. It will turn on when you open the app and then select the bms from devices. It will stay lit until you switch to another device or close the app.

Are you using the Overkill Solar app or the old Chinese one? What phone are you connecting from?

The blue tooth function works as long as the battery is not discharging or charging. I can do all the normal things you do with the app when not charging or discharging. Start one or the other and the information locks up.

I have a similar issue:

I have the 24v overkill solar bms

Blue tooth dongle no light comes on.

Could it be because my battery’s are dead ?

I left this system off for a long time as it had one low cell.

I was going to replace.. never got around to it.

I just tried now to unplug plug back in the bms Bluetooth dongle. No light, won’t show on my phone, can’t connect..

Is there another way to re-set it.. will it only work if I disconnect / recon ect my solar / inverter ect.

Anyone else had this issue

I think my dongle is frozen. My trailer sat in storage all winter and the battery drained. Once I got it charged back up I noticed the Bluetooth wasn't showing up (tried multiple apps and versions). The blue light on my dongle is solid, but nothing is connected to it. When I unplug it and plug it back in, the light goes right back to solid blue. I have also unplugged the entire BMS to try and reset anything that could be stuck, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Back