diy solar

diy solar

panel mount spacing

rancher1913

need the experienced gurus to check my plan.

i plan to run Unistrut vertically with it attached to a base and a top pipe, span will be about 7 foot. i plan to run my panels horizontally, they are about 60 inches wide and 30 inches tall so if i use 2 Unistrut's for each vertical run of panels (3 panels high) the 2 Unistrut's will carry the three panels and have 4 points of attachment for each panel.

so do you think 2 Unistrut's will carry the 3 panels for the 7 foot, I'm worried about wind and maybe to much deflection by the Unistrut. the panels should hang past the Unistrut about 10 inches and have about 50 inches between the Unistrut's. i could add a third Unistrut, just more cost but maybe cheep insurance from failure.

Not much info to go on. What part of the country are you in or what wind speeds are worst case scenario where you live? What size and gauge Unistrut? Even without that info it seems like quite a bit for two pieces of Unistrut to carry. There are some formulas for calculating windload per sq ft. Maybe start with that.

what ever the size is the store sells, and it really makes no difference what part of the country, bad wind is bad wind. was really hoping somebody had done this before and could just say it worked or that it was a failure. i see photos on here of what looks like what i am thinking of doing but cant zero in close enough to be sure. several utubes show it but anybody that blindly follows a utube as good advice can wind up hurt

I used unistrut horizontally on a 2x6 frame. Clamps are T shaped and provide about 3/4” between the panels.

Attachments

• CBAAC2F0-5C4D-418F-A97D-ABAA239E4EE1.jpeg
    CBAAC2F0-5C4D-418F-A97D-ABAA239E4EE1.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 38
that is simalar to what i have in mind but mine will go from bottom to top with no other support, but the panels will hook up same as yours.

Back