diy solar

diy solar

Panel setup questions for MPP 3048 lv-mk split phase

koovoodoo

Newbie here and just asking to learn about panel setups.

I already purchased 2x MPP 3048 lv-mk with plans for split phase usage. I got 8 q cell g+ 380w ($170 per) panels with initial plans for 2s2p setup per. I would need to run 10gauge wires (2x about 70 feet) based on amps. Would you guys recommend me getting another panel then? Would it change much to setup as 1 inverter with 3s2p, and 1 inverter with just 3s? I would run it with 1 being 10awg and 1 being 12awg. Besides cost, which route would you recommend? Just trying to understand logic/efficiencies. Thanks!!!

Edit for panels specs:

PS. Shading is not an issue at all.

Last edited:
Just trying to understand logic/efficiencies
Don’t overthink it imho

What i would do is buy three more panels. Than you can 3S2P both and thwart the pesky cloudy days and Nov-March
Shading is not an issue at all
But is latitude or snow an issue?

Nobody ever says, “I sure wish I had less solar production.”

would run it with 1 being 10awg and 1 being 12awg
I overcable solar wire runs.
I would just use 10ga good quality solar wire if the sum amps < 30. The difference in cost between 12 and 10ga is what? About a pizza and a bottle of soda?

That’s how I think stuff through. Being cheap can get expensive in the end.

Don’t overthink it imho

What i would do is buy three more panels. Than you can 3S2P both and thwart the pesky cloudy days and Nov-March

But is latitude or snow an issue?

Nobody ever says, “I sure wish I had less solar production.”

I overcable solar wire runs.
I would just use 10ga good quality solar wire if the sum amps < 30. The difference in cost between 12 and 10ga is what? About a pizza and a bottle of soda?

That’s how I think stuff through. Being cheap can get expensive in the end.
I live in New Mexico, so latitude is ok. I expect losing production in winter, but when I was calculating, it seemed like I only needed about low 3 kWh ~. That was only reason I'd be asking about efficiency.

My setup is the same. Split phase MPP 3048.
On one inverter I have 3S6P using a 6-1 combiner. Awg8 from there to inverter. 60 feet.
On the other inverter (charger) I have 3S2P wired direct using branch connectors and Awg10.

Each charger is independent of the other. You don't need to match anything between the two.
Just 2S your remaining pair.

Each charger is independent of the other. You don't need to match anything between the two.
Just 2S your remaining pair.
true

My opinion, however, was and is that a bit more solar wouldn’t hurt but maybe I was thinking about another thread at the time.
8 380W panels is 3000W so ‘wildhat guessing’ is 15kWh/day and wildhat guessing 30kWh might be low daily usage for Airconzona so more panels will pay themselves of reasonably sooner than many places might.

Back