diy solar

diy solar

Panels will not produce enough

Not sure if they are rated/approved for DC, I would not advise on using them. I used them as it was on a temporary setup and I didn't want to dig up the driveway again to install DC/solar wires. And yes, they are prone to oxidation so if anyone absolutely needs to use them, keep them indoors and protected from moisture.

To clarify, you no longer have those connectors or the solid wire in the system, correct?

I concluded you've gone from a temporary setup to a permanent setup more consistent with best practices.

Too vague. what is your latitude/longitude?

Are all panels in a string facing exactly the same direction?

Need PV panel specs.

"Wiring" also includes any changes to the array configuration, i.e., did you change the number in series or in parallel?

Is this your first seasonal transition from summer to fall/winter?
Canadian Solar 375 Wp, CS3L-375MS, PERC, HiKu
They are the same 7 panels, connected in series. Previously there were organized in 1 row, now they are in 3/3/1 (will add 2 more panels soon)

I've had them for longer, but they were part of a pair of strings on a different invertor, so I can't use the historical data from last fall. But in spring they were producing >2kw and in summer, on a cold day or after rain, they would go over their rated power at 2.5kw

My only thought is that somehow (during transport maybe) the bypass diodes are activated on some of the panels. Being half-cut, only 1/2 of some of the panels work...

To clarify, you no longer have those connectors or the solid wire in the system, correct?

I concluded you've gone from a temporary setup to a permanent setup more consistent with best practices.
Yep. New location, same equipment, but new wires and new MC4s between panels and inverter.

Canadian Solar 375 Wp, CS3L-375MS, PERC, HiKu
They are the same 7 panels, connected in series. Previously there were organized in 1 row, now they are in 3/3/1 (will add 2 more panels soon)

I've had them for longer, but they were part of a pair of strings on a different invertor, so I can't use the historical data from last fall. But in spring they were producing >2kw and in summer, on a cold day or after rain, they would go over their rated power at 2.5kw

My only thought is that somehow (during transport maybe) the bypass diodes are activated on some of the panels. Being half-cut, only 1/2 of some of the panels work...

I believe if you check Voc of each individual panel, failed bypass diodes will manifest by yielding reduced voltage readings.

I believe if you check Voc of each individual panel, failed bypass diodes will manifest by yielding reduced voltage readings.
Should be the other way around. So in case of partial shading, you're only producing 50% of the current, but 100% of the voltage.
1697484073951.png

I meant to indicate shorted.

Should impact half cut the same.

If failed open, they will only impede performance if there is shading.

Oh Lord , ???…you guys can be brutal sometimes.. ………….J.

Back