diy solar

diy solar

Parallel cells - what are the pitfalls as the number of cells in parallel gets deeper ?

At very low charge/discharge C rates, the risks are proportionally smaller. But a mismatch in capacity or resistance between parallel cells will cause the cell with the higher capacity or lower resistance to carry a disproportional amount of the load and charge current, causing accelerated degradation. If that degradation causes lithium plating and dendrite development then the degraded cell could eventually short. Without a fuse, that could be catastrophic. The cell will also run hotter as it degrades quicker, causing it to deliver higher capacity than the cooler cell(s), increasing the imbalance over time. I would fuse each individual cell. And take into account in my design that the fuses themselves introduce series resistance.

There is nothing more terrifying than a fire at sea.

For parallel batteries, the concern is eddie currents between the batteries. In some scenarios, the eddie currents can be enormous, unforeseen and undetectable. I have several batteries in parallel in my boat, but each is fused at its terminals with 0.5C rated fuses, and my maximum charge/discharge currents are below the rating of one single battery (0.1C for the whole battery array). Here's a discussion about parallel connected battery limitations: https://www.master-instruments.com.au/tech-talk-article/3/Explaining the limits of LiFePO4 batteries in parallel.html
Explain to me the difference between a 100ah LiFePO4, and a 200ah LiFePO4 cell.

You clearly don’t think the 200ah just has twice as many plates in parallel as the 100ah - I’m curious how you think the extra capacity is manufactured.

Every LiFePO4 dendritic failure I’ve seen results in a section of the cell fusing and ending up open circuit - what have you seen that makes you think a dendrite puncture is “catastrophic”?

"You clearly don’t think the 200ah just has twice as many plates in parallel as the 100ah ..."

Plates? I wasn't referring to lead-acid batteries, which have plates. LiFePO4 batteries don't.

"Lithium dendrites are formed when extra lithium ions accumulate on the anode surface and cannot be absorbed into the anode in time. They can cause short circuits and lead to catastrophic failures and even fires."
You need to spend more time with people who manufacture LiFePO4, and less time reading stuff on the internet.

If you don’t think LiFePO4 cells have plates, what do you call the anode and cathode lattices within the cells?

Highlighting misinformation from the internet isn’t the same as relaying actual instances of fires caused by dendrite growth. I mean I guess it’s possible they could cause fires, it’s also possible they could cause tidal waves. I haven’t seen or heard of them causing either one. Typing it in bold doesn’t make it more likely.

You need to spend more time with people who manufacture LiFePO4, and less time reading stuff on the internet.

If you don’t think LiFePO4 cells have plates, what do you call the anode and cathode lattices within the cells?

Highlighting misinformation from the internet isn’t the same as relaying actual instances of fires caused by dendrite growth. I mean I guess it’s possible they could cause fires, it’s also possible they could cause tidal waves. I haven’t seen or heard of them causing either one. Typing it in bold doesn’t make it more likely.
Toms, I wouldn’t even engage with this dude. He’s just interested spamming his shitty links over old posts.

Yes, it seems a few people have taken up the annoying hobby of answering random posts with AI responses. Problem is it’s really difficult to know what to believe these days..

Yeah, I always get flamed when I post actual research that contradicts fanboys.
Nah, you get called out when you publish some junk assed articles on your own site and bump up old posts in order to link to them twice in one day and get noticed.

Nah, you get called out when you publish some junk assed articles on your own site and bump up old posts in order to link to them twice in one day and get noticed.
My own site? I don't have a site. Please read postings more carefully before flaming people who are devoting their unpaid time to help out.

The trolls seem to be everywhere!

I'm outta here. This site is infested.

Last edited:
My own site? I don't have a site. Please read postings more carefully before flaming people who are devoting their unpaid time to help out.

The trolls seem to be everywhere!

I'm outta here. This site is infested.
Dude with few posts links twice on two different threads to the same site (two different pages) on very specific queries and has to search to find said threads and bumping up old conversations in the process and then claims victimhood. Sure. Internet marketers/SEO bubbas can smell our own. My sites get natural mentions/links on forums/FB/and Reddit though. Never felt the need to pollute.

Back