diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Sol-ark 12k install questions

Jrv8984

On page 51 of the current installation manual it shows a bypass transfer switch. If the inverters are wired this way and their is a grid outage, you will need to manually change the bypass switch in order to have power with the grid down. Wouldn't this be better served with an ATS if you do not want to pass through?

My array (structures have #6 copper to grounding rods) is 300+ feet away from the inverters. My electrician told me that i need to run #10 ground wires from the inverters to the arrays. Do I just land them in my dc disconnect boxes grounding rail and call it good (nothing else is connected to it)?

Does anyone have any recommendations for AC combiners other than just using insulated multi-tap connectors?

My array (structures have #6 copper to grounding rods) is 300+ feet away from the inverters. My electrician told me that i need to run #10 ground wires from the inverters to the arrays. Do I just land them in my dc disconnect boxes grounding rail and call it good (nothing else is connected to it)?
The ground rods at the array are auxiliary ground rods. They do not provide safety grounding for the array. The grounding conductor (recommended by your electrician) running back to the inverter (and the rest of your grounding system) is the safety grounding.
This is to be connected to all exposed conductive surfaces. (Electrical Equipment enclosues, panel frames, metal support structures) if auxiliary ground rods are installed, they must also be connected to the grounding conductor.
I don't recommend auxiliary ground rods. But if they are used. Then I would highly recommend that you install SPD's on both ends of the array wiring. (At the array and inverter) to help avoid damage from a nearby lighting strike. Which can be an issue with long wires that are connected to earth at both ends.

Thats going to be alot of spd's, 8 strings on both ends! Whats the likelihood of a lightning strike, (the array is about 75'-100' away from a railway, that has steel transmission poles along itIMG_20230707_104927692.jpg

Thats going to be alot of spd's, 8 strings on both ends! Whats the likelihood of a lightning strike, (the array is about 75'-100' away from a railway, that has steel transmission poles along itView attachment 157230
I would say that those steel poles makes it very likely.
But you should know better than I. If you have lived there very long.

For what its worth, I've never experienced a lightning strike on the poles, I've lived here for 9 years.

Thanks,
I did the math for my latitude, taking into account the angle of the sun during the winter solstice. My only concern is shading from those trees to the west and the best way to string the panels.

Thanks,
I did the math for my latitude, taking into account the angle of the sun during the winter solstice. My only concern is shading from those trees to the west and the best way to string the panels.
I just used the Sol-Ark panel sizing tool.

It doesn’t take in effect shading potential but I’m not sure what tool does.

Perhaps someone else would know.

diy solar

diy solar
Back