diy solar

diy solar

Performance and Voltage Drop Copper Bus Bar

frankz66

Hello everyone, I wanted to have your opinion on the performance and voltage drops regarding the copper busbars.

My perplexity is due to the fact that previously in the m I system I had separated and connected all the positives and all the negatives in an equipotential bar to be clear of the screw type perforated in brass, those that are used in electrical systems to connect the masses or voltage cables. I replaced these screw-on brass bars with two 3mm 99% pure copper bars.

To my surprise, I noticed a notable difference in performance. That is, in the morning the lead-acid batteries, I had about 12.36 volts of residue, but turning on the fridge I noticed a cue of 500 watts and a drop in battery voltage of 0.70 volts. With these copper bars that I replaced, the voltage drop was only 0.13 volts. Is it possible that the copper busbar made me achieve this high performance? The performance difference for the drop is 0.60 volts less with copper! Thank you .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-23 alle 07.44.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 alle 07.44.18.png
    178 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-09-23 alle 07.44.34.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 alle 07.44.34.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 6
Copper has around 1/4 the resistance of brass, its also probable the copper buss bar had greater cross section area.

Copper has around 1/4 the resistance of brass, its also probable the copper buss bar had greater cross section area.
Thank you, however I was amazed by the fact that small tricks make a difference. Some experienced users recommend filing the cable lugs and the copper base, to have even greater conductance. Do you think it's worth it?

I don't know, I'm not an expert but a beginner. But from a video I had seen, which dealt with the connections of the solar cables, they advised to give a little shave to the copper bar and the connectors. But it was just advice. However, as far as I am concerned, after installing the copper busbar I got this saving of cue, which has also been the subject of discussion in other posts, where I was trying to understand how to lower the cue of the refrigerator. Now that I've recovered 0.60 volts with a little .... I'm happy to be able to leave the fridge on.

Back