diy solar

diy solar

Pergola vs Roof suggestions?

Tekee

My city allows up to 10kW of power to be installed.
I have a new 35x15 pergola that would allow support this output with full coverage of panels. But I also have a new roof with heavy presidential shake that would last a long time as an installation option.

The pergola seems the simplest way for DIY. But am I missing any huge pro's for putting it on a roof?
I saw that panels reduce heat in the attic by up to 5 degrees when on a roof. Does this outweigh the increased installation efforts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-24 133327.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-24 133327.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 33
It is around 15 degrees. We are near Ann Arbor Mi.
This site can tell you the best tilt.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_112045.jpg
    IMG_20200607_112045.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Pergola.jpg
    Pergola.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 53
  • solar pergola 1.PNG
    solar pergola 1.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
I also built a pergola. It has a 10 degree angle to the South. I do not have a south facing roof and do not like the look of solar panels on a red tile roof. I needed to replace the aging wood patio pergola anyway, so a solar pergola was a good solution. We have 24 panels and it produces almost 60kw per day in max conditions. I wanted to use bifacial panels, but they were difficult to find, so I just have LGs with a white backing.

Hello,

Here is a nice blog I read about whether a pergola should be with a roof or not. I suggest giving it a read and deciding on the options they enlist.

I guess nowadays the ideal solution would be to have a carport with a solar panel roof for an electrical vehicle. This seems to be the trend in some southern parts of Europe.

Hello,

Here is a nice blog I read about whether a pergola should be with a roof or not. I suggest giving it a read and deciding on the options they enlist.

I guess nowadays the ideal solution would be to have a carport with a solar panel roof for an electrical vehicle. This seems to be the trend in some southern parts of Europe.
I love the car port idea. I have a cheap HF tube style car port on the side of my house and replaced the tarp roof with 8 solar panels over the holidays. We have a PHeV and needed the additional power.

They used to mandate this in-roof style of installation around here (France), fortunately it is no longer the case.

99926-deaf5cfdf9fec357b868220f8b8f9565.jpg

Pergola is lower than roof, so it is more likely to be in the shadow from trees, and I see a bunch of trees.

Also if you live in Northern hemisphere at not too low latitude, it's best to install panels facing South. If your photo has correct orientation (North up) the pergola will face North... but there is a nice bit of roof facing SE/SW which would be much better.

As somebody that did a DIY install on my roof, I would strongly suggest the pergola. It is closer to the ground so easier to install and the maintenance is so much easier. After install you need to worry about keeping the panels clean, debris and critters under the panels, failed microinverters and the list goes on. So Pergola all the way.

Lots of benefits to pergola. Easier access, no leak risk on roof, etc. Plus roof panels require access space for fire suppression if needed. Agree with thoughts about direction of tilt and trees so will want to check that as well.

Back