diy solar

diy solar

Perhaps contract with Will or some other expert to build my campervan power modules

OyOv-MBC

I been researching solutions for off grid power needs in a smaller camper van that could, depending on season and location, be very power hungry within the confines of form factors and weight. Who isn’t ... right? I know enough to know that i don’ know all I need to know nor do I know yet what I don’t know. So, I will not be doing this by myself.
I’ve just registered on this forum and this is my first post
Storage: Need to build two modules = 24v 7.2 kWH total 14.4 kWH.
Based on what I’ve been able to learn on Will’s YouTubes. 3x2 each RUiXU GSP34135214F 100 ah 12v. For ~ 7.2 kWH x 2 ( they’ll be about 6’ away from one another underneath an RV in an open space that is net about 20.5” L x 13” W x 9.25” D. ) So the batteries I believe should just make it including their incasement in a box. The other components having to fit .. I’m not sure about that.
So I suppose I need the assistance in configuration, combining, wiring, testing cells for integrity, balancing & BMS etc in heated outdoor rated boxes. Theyed be chargeable via solar, sky/shore and alternator.
I’m currently in Southern California until up fit is complete.
Thanks in advance for any direction you might point me in.

Last edited:
Just responded to yesterday's @Will Prowse YouTube vid about the Al vs Calb/SinoPolys cells with this:
... this video (I think) has tipped me toward the CALB/SinoPoly's. However much I might really love the space and weight savings of the Aluminum cells, they just don't look like they're suited for the off-road 24V, 10kW-h (-ish) system I'm building. Those dinky terminal connections kinda terrify me considering I'd need an 8S4P config (boxed, of course). Will likely go with a 4S4P of 180 A-h CALBs and breathe a little easier.

How big a deal is this? Here's a pic of the +10kW-h Al-clad battery bank (8S4P housed in 2 boxes outlined in blue) on either side of the rear door of my camper:
Al-clad battery banks.JPG

And here's a 9.2 kW-h bank of CALB 180s (4S4P) ... much bigger footprint and >2x heavier but think this is the best setup for my intended travel plans:
calb-battery-bank-jpg.4270

Attachments

• CALB Battery Bank.JPG
    CALB Battery Bank.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 439
How are you planning on keeping a 14.4KWh bank charged?

what are your usage needs per day?

That storage is going to need 2400 Watts of solar each day average 6sun hours. So, clouds and other shading I’m thinking 5KW of panels... most campers can’t fit 1/2 that... awnings maybe...

If driving a lot, DC-DC charging will help...

Or, is the 14.4 a large bank to handle multidays usage, and charging over multiple days?

Just responded to yesterday's @Will Prowse YouTube vid about the Al vs Calb/SinoPolys cells with this:
... this video (I think) has tipped me toward the CALB/SinoPoly's. However much I might really love the space and weight savings of the Aluminum cells, they just don't look like they're suited for the off-road 24V, 10kW-h (-ish) system I'm building. Those dinky terminal connections kinda terrify me considering I'd need an 8S4P config (boxed, of course). Will likely go with a 4S4P of 180 A-h CALBs and breathe a little easier.

How big a deal is this? Here's a pic of the +10kW-h Al-clad battery bank (8S4P housed in 2 boxes outlined in blue) on either side of the rear door of my camper:
View attachment 4269

And here's a 9.2 kW-h bank of CALB 180s (4S4P) ... much bigger footprint and >2x heavier but think this is the best setup for my intended travel plans:
calb-battery-bank-jpg.4270
For off-road use, I would use the CALB cells. I have seen them mounted in a friends electric bike and they had to handle excessive vibration for years. Those tiny aluminum cased cells are smaller and lighter, but I wouldnt trust those terminals. Electrodacus (other battery youtuber channel) told me those terminals are spot welded. The CALB terminal is part of the case material.

Great analysis with the cad software. Very nice. But yeah, I would go with calb for that application, in my opinion

Electrodacus (other battery youtuber channel) told me those terminals are spot welded. The CALB terminal is part of the case material.

Great analysis with the cad software. Very nice. But yeah, I would go with calb for that application, in my opinion

Actually it's Google Sketchup. Much easier and free to boot.(y)

Well, that does it. If Dacien (Electrodacus) says those terminals are spot welded, I believe it. Can't wait for your Electrodacus vid. Which one of the three did you get? Hoping it's the SBMS0. Intend to use that as my BMS (w. upstream Victron MPPT).

I will review this one:
View attachment 4282

Seems awesome!! I have some stuff to say about it though. I really like Dacien. Cool guy
Yep, that's the SBMS0. Same balancing and monitoring features that are in his chargers (SBMS40 and 120). Balances on charge and discharge, low T cutoff, high and low V cutoff (and a plethora of other configurable parameters), really intuitive and organized interface, very small and user-repairable, not too expensive, great support. What's not to like? Sounds like you've found a thing or two(?) The only one I know who's been using this on the road in RL for any length of time loves it (Everlanders on YouTube, who's managed to install 8 panels on his roof he pneumatically deploys whenever he stops ... not a solution I can rely on, so going MPPT + SBMS0, vs SBMS40/120).

I will review this one:
View attachment 4282

Seems awesome!! I have some stuff to say about it though. I really like Dacien. Cool guy
@Will Prowse So, I've been in touch w Dacian inre my SBMS order. Was just going to go w the SBMS0 to just use as a BMS but I think he's convinced me to rely on a couple of DSSR20s for my 4-24V/300W panels. Since they're 60-cell panels all in parallel, the panel voltage will be close enough to the battery voltage that I'll get near MPPT charging efficiency w.o. the MPPT cost or complexity, esp under STC or warmer.

So question is: How much of that pic do you plan to review? SBMS0 only (BMS/Monitor) or SBMS0+DSSR20 (all-in-one BMS/Monitor/Charger)? I'm trying to digest the doc'n he just pointed me to that describes recent SBMS0 upgrades and how it works w multiple (up to 30) DSSR20s to manage up to an 18kW PV array. But, TBH, every time I'm about to place an order for something, someone recommends something better that just arrived. LOL

See also this here on the forum. Only other mention of this set up I could find here and there's very little about this anywhere else ... anywhere!

Last edited:
Yes, biggest issue is matching panels with battery bank voltage with pwm. But it is a solid system if planned properly. PWM last for decades. And its nicec and lightweight.

And I will build a system with it. I have some panels ready to go but have been crazy busy with all the other videos I am making. Just edited another video five minutes ago and need to get back to work on that. But will review it when I get a chance.

I will review this one:
View attachment 4282

We have several of his SBMS120's on the site trailers out in the field but i have not played with them much .. pretty straightforward to setup BUT you need to read the manual .. but its a excellent manual ... we got ours early on so it did take us a while to get them which is fine and we have nothing but good things to say ... of course you have to make sure you get a huge heatsink for the 120's - I wish you could also REVIEW the SBMS120 .. there are allot of ppl using that one -- the SBMS0 not so much i don't think .... We too love DACIAN -- he has answered allot of weird questions my guys have asked him ... but like you - we agree there were a few quirky things we would have done different but still overall HIGHLY impressed ...

We have several of his SBMS120's on the site trailers out in the field but i have not played with them much .. pretty straightforward to setup BUT you need to read the manual .. but its a excellent manual ... we got ours early on so it did take us a while to get them which is fine and we have nothing but good things to say ... of course you have to make sure you get a huge heatsink for the 120's - I wish you could also REVIEW the SBMS120 .. there are allot of ppl using that one -- the SBMS0 not so much i don't think .... We too love DACIAN -- he has answered allot of weird questions my guys have asked him ... but like you - we agree there were a few quirky things we would have done different but still overall HIGHLY impressed ...
Reading between the lines of recent correspondence, the "40" & "120" may be in the process of being replaced by SBMS0 w one or more DSSR20s connecting panels to it. Use two DSSR20s for an SBMS40 equivalent, 6 for a "120" ... on up to 30 DSSR20s. Not only that, they're cheaper and no heat sinks req'd. Number of SKUs to build and support reduced by 50%, but he still offers those equivalents plus many more, making a solution that buyers can customize to their specific needs ... with just his remaining 2 SKUs! And down the road if you need more panels to get more amps, just buy more DSSR20s (cheap) to add to your existing SBMS0. You can also over-panel to create different sized banks of panels the SBMS automatically jumps across and combines to maintain optimum charging for your particular chemistry as your loads and amount of available sunlight change. Brilliant idea.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines of recent correspondence, the "40" & "120" may be in the process of being replaced by SBMS0 w one or more DSSR20s connecting panels to it. Use two DSSR20s for an SBMS40 equivalent, 6 for a "120" ... on up to 16 DSSR20s. Not only that, they're cheaper and no heat sinks req'd. Number of SKUs to build and support reduced by 50%, but he still offers those equivalents plus many more, making a solution that buyers can customize to their specific needs ... with just his remaining 2 SKUs! And down the road if you need more panels to get more amps, just buy more DSSR20s (cheap) to add to your existing SBMS0. You can also over-panel to create different sized banks of panels the SBMS automatically jumps across and combines to maintain optimum charging for your particular chemistry as your loads and amount of available sunlight change. Brilliant idea.

I had not thought of that that way .. good points

I certainly like this system. However, I am torn up about the cabling. Right now I have 8 100 watt panels 2S4P, so I am bringing 24v/30a (nominal) down from the RV roof. I want to add another 8 panels.

I would need 4 DSSR20s, which is fine, but I would have to redo the wiring from the roof. I would have to bring 8 awg #10 wires off the roof. Ugh.

My wires come off the back of my 36ft, which means my max current wire run length is like 30ft (15ft roof, 10ft down, 10ft forward). With new panels that would be more like 50ft.

But wait, can I put the DSSR20s on the roof and combine the 4 DSSR20s into the 2 existing AWG #4s to bring the resulting power off the roof? I would then just need to run the pair of small extio4 leads up there. However, the awg #4 would be maxed out at full sun doing 60A. There would be a decent voltage drop. Ugh.

The other option is bringing 48v/30a off the roof by doing 4S4P and using a victron 150/80 MPPT ($500!). My existing wires are fine. Unless I am confused, it seems like the MPPT is the way to go.

The dssr can handle 20 amps so you would only need 2. They can handle 2s2p of those panels if there 36 cell panels.

You could run 2- 72 cell with the sbms0 with 3 dssrs and the 8 panels with 3 positive runs and a bigger ground and a 16-18awg for the dssr, the new model is a little different and can support heating water,

diy solar

diy solar
Back