diy solar

diy solar

Permit related: off grid definition and EMT use

Captain Kirk

Howdy. Hope everyone is well.

I'm using an internet-based permit service and I'm hopeful the DIY experts here can help me with a couple of questions regarding the drawing. In trying to describe my system, the draftsperson stated that my system is grid tied when I was of the thinking was not. I'm not feeding the main panel bus bars at all from the inverter. The inverter is feeding a manual Reliance ProTran transfer switch (6 individual switches) that powers only 6 selected circuits. It breaks into the circuit and either allows utility power to pass through to the circuit, Utility position, or pass power through when the switches are in the generator position. Inverter power never feeds the main panel bus bars and there is no way to back feed the grid unless the whole enchilada melted, right? The switch does have a neutral that runs back to the main panel bonded neutral-ground terminal strip. So, the question: is or isn’t this a grid tied system?

My second question: do the wires as shown in the picture (not my system) need to be in EMT/conduit per code? If they do, how does one run EMT to/from the Victron distributor and the battery terminals to the Lynx shunt?

Thanks for any help!

1698978008024.png

The quattro is capable of backfeeding. By default it is not configured to do that, and it DOES NOT have a U.S. Grid specific setting to do so, but it can be configured with "Other" grid type that allows backfeeding. Again, not by default. When set to "none," the settings explicitly state no backfeeding.

By default it is not grid tie. It is simply a load to the grid.. like a battery charger.

Back