diy solar

diy solar

permits/plans? who do you recommend

n2aws

Solar Addict
I'm doing a DIY solar install on my house. It includes solar+batteries.

My location still uses NEC 2017, and in talking to one of the county inspectors, I was told they don't have any extra/special provisions for solar install.

He did say that they only require the 3' setback for solar panels on one side of the roof, not both.

Anyway,
I need to get permits/plans done to submit for approval. Who have you all used in the past, and would recommend?
I've seen some of the online tools to build and setup your own plans, but they don't seem to work well with battery/DC coupled systems (half of them don't even list a charge controller as an option)

I have been using GreenLancer only because that is who Ironridge send you to for plans.
It's been a mixed bag, plans and alterations have been prompt 1-2 business days but they sold me a package without engineer stamps even though they should have known my situation required it. I am a new home build and 100% off grid using an 18k, the new SS battery and Tigo.
They seem to be using the same design system as several others I have seen.

SolarDesignTool if you wish to make your plans yourself and then to GreenLancer for the PE stamps and letter stating the strayer can support the panels. Green Lances will do everything as well for some addition $$.

SolarDesignTool if you wish to make your plans yourself and then to GreenLancer for the PE stamps and letter stating the strayer can support the panels. Green Lances will do everything as well for some addition $$.

SolarDesignTool is Lyra, I used lyra a while back, and got halfway through it, and realized they didn't understand charge controllers or DC coupling. I'll check it out again, and see if that has changed. If so, that'd be nice, because I have most of my layout saved in there as a project already from a year or so ago.

I like to use Ignergy for the designs. Instead of SLD they deliver TLDs which in my opinion are easier to read. Their delivery time is really fast and have great prices ?

Back