diy solar

diy solar

Powerwall 3 vs EG4 18k to run my shop

Another interesting piece of information. The Tesla Powerwall 3 doesn't require additional hardware for rapid shut down and meets both 2017 and 2020 code requirements. Its my understanding EG4 (6000XP ad 18K) would both require additional RSD devices such as Tigo to remain code compliant for panel shut down if panels are installed on a building. I could be wrong about the EG4 equipment so if anyone wants to chime in?

It's currently unknown if my local permitting dept would require panel RSD devices for a ground mount setup. Again, they refuse to answer any questions until I submit an engineering plan.

Go to the sol-ark website to find an installer near you to install a sol-ark pv only system. Add your own batteries after it has passed inspection.

That's the general idea. "selfish solar" setup. Unfortunately, shading makes a large ground mount system difficult. I would have to trench about 50 yards away and still have to permit everything with the county so the roof mount vs ground mount would likely end up being a wash cost wise when you account for cabling and trenching. The address is 1325 Foster Road in Grimesland, NC 27837 if anyone is curious. I've had several consults from regional solar companies and they agreed. My biggest issue is finding someone that will install the panels alone (with permits).
I'd survey your site with Suncalc like I did here. https://www.suncalc.org/#/35.5585,-77.2348,19/2024.12.21/11:33/10/1 Be sure to check shade at the winter solstice which is Dec 21st. I don't know how tall your trees are so input that on the left side.

Moving the orange button at the top on the time scale will swing the shadow line thru the day.

Another interesting piece of information. The Tesla Powerwall 3 doesn't require additional hardware for rapid shut down and meets both 2017 and 2020 code requirements. Its my understanding EG4 (6000XP ad 18K) would both require additional RSD devices such as Tigo to remain code compliant for panel shut down if panels are installed on a building. I could be wrong about the EG4 equipment so if anyone wants to chime in?

It's currently unknown if my local permitting dept would require panel RSD devices for a ground mount setup. Again, they refuse to answer any questions until I submit an engineering plan.
There will be Tigo or some other devices on the panels with a Tesla install too.
The 18k has the keep alive transmitter built in, the 6000XP does not.

You need to familiarize yourself with the building and electrical codes in use in your area, the building department is not there to advise you only to tell you yes or no and they will only do that with engineered plans.

I'd survey your site with Suncalc like I did here. https://www.suncalc.org/#/35.5585,-77.2348,19/2024.12.21/11:33/10/1 Be sure to check shade at the winter solstice which is Dec 21st. I don't know how tall your trees are so input that on the left side.

Moving the orange button at the top on the time scale will swing the shadow line thru the day.
Those tree are across the street approx 100 yards away and my shop is two stories tall. Thanks for the link. I'll dig deeper.

Reactions: Zwy
There will be Tigo or some other devices on the panels with a Tesla install too.
The 18k has the keep alive transmitter built in, the 6000XP does not.

You need to familiarize yourself with the building and electrical codes in use in your area, the building department is not there to advise you only to tell you yes or no and they will only do that with engineered plans.

Looks like the Powerwall 3 uses MCI's (1 for every 3 panels). So I would need 6 for 18 panels according to the Tesla installer.

From the DIY stand point and using EG4, Its difficult to come up with a full system list to submit to engineers to even give me plans.

Those tree are across the street approx 100 yards away and my shop is two stories tall. Thanks for the link. I'll dig deeper.
Another survey tool is called Sunshine Compass, I use the android version on my phone. It will show the location of the sun in the sky at various dates and times. I do not know if anything is available for Iphone.

Definitely don't do the un-permitted route. The paperwork and permitting portion was an absolute nightmare for me, it was only at the end when I was pulling my hair out I learned about a company called Vector Engineering. I was struggling with the inspector wanting stamped engineering plans for trusses, a very specific site plan and a few other things that were completely unattainable for a homeowner. I paid $125 for everything I needed through them and it was done in 2 days.

If I were to do it over again, I would have gone with them from the beginning, I think the entire "package" for them to do everything permit wise was about $300, it's a no brainer. I'm not sure if you "have" to be a contractor or not to hire them, fortunately I am and I set up an account, so if they won't let you, let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

That offer goes for everyone on the forum, I'm not asking for a single dollar, I'll do the back and fourth for free. I know the permitting process is/was what has stopped so many of us from moving forward and I can say this place sincerely made it easy. I'm sure there are others out there, I only found out about this company because my inspector informed me 'off the record' that they handled 80% of the solar permits he inspected in our area.
Wow, that is amazing! Definitely will keep this is mind for when I do my build at the house I'm at. Saving this!

Back