diy solar

diy solar

PIP 2424LV-MSD inefficiency from Solar panels

Today is a perfect day too without a cloud in the sky and it is currently 152pm. Wonder if I need to send this Unit back, seems defective or something. Won’t turn off when I flip the switch either
I think the switch is only to turn on the inverter.
Solar panels producing will turn the read out on.
Read the Manual.

You are never getting the full 600 watts with panels flat on the ground instead of angled for the season.

Today is a perfect day too without a cloud in the sky and it is currently 152pm. Wonder if I need to send this Unit back, seems defective or something. Won’t turn off when I flip the switch either
May be fans cooling down? Put clamp meter between panel and unit when switch is off & on, on the negative cable. Any amps going through? Could be problem with unit.

Do you know SOC of battery bank? Maybe it's in float mode and that is why you're not getting more watts from panels. Controller is holding back.

Last edited:
Just emphasizing on how perfectly favourable the conditions are for Sun and temperatures.
From your pic.
Your 2nd row is shading the 3rd row which will have an effect.
You cant have Any shade on the panels.
The 2 flat panels of a 3 series string will lower the charging.
The panel angle is not steep enough.
Only 4 of your 6 panels are angled.

The power of the sun is related to the earths tilt and you can't change that.

From your pic.
Your 2nd row is shading the 3rd row which will have an effect.
You cant have Any shade on the panels.
The 2 flat panels of a 3 series string will lower the charging.
The panel angle is not steep enough.
Only 4 of your 6 panels are angled.

The power of the sun is related to the earths tilt and you can't change that.
Thank you greatly for that advise I do realize the angle is not exact and that yes the efficiency is effected by shading. The panels are just propped up with what I could find. I am planing to make a custom diy solar mounting rig to better position the panels for optimal power collection/production and thank you for the link in previous post it tells me that for where I am the all year optimal angle should be 39degrees when facing directly south and the best time for energy collection being July and August.

I think the switch is only to turn on the inverter.
Solar panels producing will turn the read out on.
Read the Manual.

You are never getting the full 600 watts with panels flat on the ground instead of angled for the season.

Thought you should know that today I reconnected panels 3 sets of pairs then connected as parallel and angled a bit not an exact angle for best solar collection and readout showed 301watts maximum under load with a hair dryer rated above 1800 watt power consumption. This is a little over fifty percent production for what I could get, this tells me that with 2000 watts of Solar I can get 1000 watts continuous product from panels alone when under full sun in March slightly more for April, best output in June, July and August. I see no reason for me to not be able to get 66% efficiency or better in the Summer with panels properly angled and in full sun. I usually camp where there is lots of tree cover and the sun never stays too consistently in one area. and I intend to mount these on the roof of a travel trailer, wondering how efficient my power production may be. Planning to series connect all panels in three then parallel using twelve panels in total, maybe sixteen by August and twenty-three next summer. All 100watt panels of same make and model.

Thought you should know that today I reconnected panels 3 sets of pairs then connected as parallel and angled a bit not an exact angle for best solar collection and readout showed 301watts maximum under load with a hair dryer rated above 1800 watt power consumption. This is a little over fifty percent production for what I could get, this tells me that with 2000 watts of Solar I can get 1000 watts continuous product from panels alone when under full sun in March slightly more for April, best output in June, July and August. I see no reason for me to not be able to get 66% efficiency or better in the Summer with panels properly angled and in full sun. I usually camp where there is lots of tree cover and the sun never stays too consistently in one area. and I intend to mount these on the roof of a travel trailer, wondering how efficient my power production may be. Planning to series connect all panels in three then parallel using twelve panels in total, maybe sixteen by August and twenty-three next summer. All 100watt panels of same make and model.
Temperature makes big difference too.

Approximately 20 volt and 5amp 100 watt panels. Using six each paired in series and then parallel for 40volt 15amp.

That's probably 16V or so Vmp, not 20V. Two in series may be marginal for MPPT controller charging 24V battery.

So long as Voc doesn't come anywhere near limit of your charge controller, wiring 3s2p may perform better.

Also, sun intensity may be well under 1000W/m, not just due to longer path through atmosphere, but also things in the air. It isn't uncommon for panel production to be lower than you expect for that reason.

If you have an ammeter, disconnect one panel and measure its short circuit current. Compare flat, the tilt you've got, and aimed straight at the sun.

His 100 watt panels are 18Vmp and he already connected them 3S2P so about 54Vmp
That's probably 16V or so Vmp, not 20V. Two in series may be marginal for MPPT controller charging 24V battery.

So long as Voc doesn't come anywhere near limit of your charge controller, wiring 3s2p may perform better.

Also, sun intensity may be well under 1000W/m, not just due to longer path through atmosphere, but also things in the air. It isn't uncommon for panel production to be lower than you expect for that reason.

If you have an ammeter, disconnect one panel and measure its short circuit current. Compare flat, the tilt you've got, and aimed straight at the sun.

Back