diy solar

diy solar

Placement of lithium batteries near back of van?

Jennifer-3456

Solar Enthusiast
I've seen some people place their electrical system---lithium batteries, inverter, charger, etc.---near the back of their van. What might happen if the van is rear-ended? Or, in general, what are the possible dangers of serious crashes, wherever the batteries might be placed in the van?

The rear end will likely be damaged.
Thanks for responding, Paul. I should have been more specific in my question. I was wondering about the risk of fire or explosion. I was curious if people who install lithium iron phosphate batteries are thinking about what would happen if they got into a crash. Does it make sense to place the batteries in certain spots versus others? Or is putting lithium iron phosphate batteries in a van or RV just risky in general?

You sue the person that hit you.
Thanks for responding, Bob. I should have been more specific in my question. I was wondering about the risk of fire or explosion. I was curious if people who install lithium iron phosphate batteries are thinking about what would happen if they got into a crash. Does it make sense to place the batteries in certain spots versus others? Or is putting lithium iron phosphate batteries in a van or RV just risky in general?

Thanks for responding, Bob. I should have been more specific in my question. I was wondering about the risk of fire or explosion. I was curious if people who install lithium iron phosphate batteries are thinking about what would happen if they got into a crash. Does it make sense to place the batteries in certain spots versus others? Or is putting lithium iron phosphate batteries in a van or RV just risky in general?
Lifepo4 batteries are a safe technology. They are not like the lithium ion batteries that people like to show burning/exploding on youtube.

Of course like any battery an install needs to be done safely.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about fire and explosion from a crash. I think they're actually safer than other types of batteries in that regard since you won't have acid leaking if they're cracked open.

I have a DIY lithium-ion battery in my cargo trailer -> camping trailer. It's placed on top of the cabinets along one side - head height.
An accident is just so unpredictable... the battery will not automatically burst into flames if the trailer rolls or slides on it's side or xxxx because it's securely fastened down, protected by cabinets / roof... but it's certainly possible if direct punctures or mangling of the individual cells occur.

One thing you can do is build a battery box to add some physical protection. One could even approach robustness of propane bottles. But beyond that... many things in life have risk. Driving is a risk.... :)

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back